Texas Tech women's golf selected as 10-seed

The Texas Tech women's golf team gathers in the team facility on Wednesday, April 24, 2019 to watch their regional selection for the NCAA Division I Championships, The team was selected as 10-seed in the Norman region.

The Texas Tech women’s golf team will be the 10-seed in the Norman Regional of the 2019 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf.

Other teams competing in the regional include 1-seed Texas, 2-seed Wake Forest, 3-seed Florida, 4-seed Arizona State, 5-seed Oklahoma, 6-seed Texas Christian University, 7-seed Peppercorn, 8-seed Purdue, and 9-seed Ole Miss, according to NBC Golf.

The Norman Regional will take place May 6-8 in Oklahoma and be played at the Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club in Norman, according to the NCAA.

Coach Jojo Robertson said hearing the team announced during the selection show on Wednesday was great for the team.

“We’re so young. We’ve got three that have never played in this, and one senior who wants more than anything to go to nationals her last year,” Robertson said. “So, just to see our names up there (in the selection) is a good feeling. They’ve worked hard this year to get this far.”

The team has performed well thus far in the 2019 season, she said, and they are looking to improve through the postseason.

“I’m really excited with the way the team has played,” Robertson said. “We’ve had a week already of good practice, and I like the way we’re improving. It hasn’t really shown up so much in scores and finishes in tournaments, but each player has done a good job all spring.”

The team has six players competing for five positions in the regional tournament. Robertson said the team has been competitive and it is always a good thing.

“It’s going to be fun, this next week and a half, to see what happens and watch our team keep getting better,” she said.

Sophomore Sofia Garcia will be joining the team in the Norman regional after an injury that forced her to sit out for the bulk of the 2018 season. Robertson said Garcia’s determination to come back and her commitment is amazing.

“Sofia is amazing,” Robertson said. “To watch her get hurt last year after our very first tournament and sit out the entire year and fight back and be better now than she ever was is incredible.”

Battling an injury last season was a challenge, Garcia said.

“My injury took me out for six months until I actually could play,” Garcia said. “It took almost a full year to kind of get used to being in competition and kind of feel like my game was there again.”

Sometimes, Garcia said she forgets she was injured last season. She has confidence in her team and in herself moving forward. 

“I think they are getting more comfortable in what they have to do and enjoy this journey,” she said. “Thinking about that, we have good chances to do something good in this regional.”

If the Red Raiders can advance past the regional round, they will be eligible to compete in the National Championship set to take place from May 17-22 at the Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas, according to the NCAA.