Texas Tech Classic

Senior Odaine Lewis successfully completes a triple jump at the Texas Tech Classic track meet on Friday, Jan 25, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Texas Tech Classic was the third home meet of the season, hosting schools from all around the country.

The Texas Tech track and field team is set to host the Fearless Champion Open meet on Friday, March 22, and Saturday, March 23, at the Terry and Linda Fuller Track and Field complex.

The men’s team will open up the first home outdoor meet as the top men’s squad in the country, according to the USTFCCCA’s track and field rating index. This is a result of the 336.13 points gained in the index, which includes top marks made from last season as well as any made this past weekend.

Additionally, several Red Raiders' outstanding performances have contributed to the team’s high ranking, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Norman Grimes ranks second in the country for his performance in the 400m hurdles, while graduate student Duke Kicinski holds the title of top thrower in the nation for his mark of 207’-9.75” from last weekend in the discus.

Seniors Charles Brown and Odaine Lewis rank second in the nation in the long and triple jump. Junior Divine Oduduru holds fourth place in the 200m, while junior Jah-Nhai Perinchief holds third place in high jump.

The women’s team will go into the meet with the 14th ranking, marking their best placement since 2015, according to Tech Athletics. This is due in part to the team’s top competitors including senior Alaysha Johnson, junior Damajahnee Birch and senior Zarriea Willis.

Johnson will enter as the second fastest 100m hurdler in the nation and Birch will go into the meet in third as a result of her 56.46 time in the 400m hurdles, according to Tech Athletics. Willis will defend her indoor high jump champion status as she sits at sixth in the country.

Friday’s meet will include the javelin and hammer throw, while Saturday’s meet will contain all of the remaining running and field events.