Texas Tech Soccer vs. Abilene Christian

Junior forward Jade King heads down field during their game against Abilene Christian at 7 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 26, at the John Walker Soccer Complex. Tech defeat Abilene, 1-0.

The No. 24 Texas Tech soccer team is set to begin conference play against West Virginia at 7:15 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21, at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock. 

In 2017, the Red Raiders finished with a conference record of 2-4-3, according to Tech Athletics. Their two conference wins came against Kansas State and Oklahoma. 

Last year when the Red Raiders visited West Virgina, they ended up with a 1-1 tie in double overtime, according to Tech Athletics. It was one of Tech’s three ties of the season. 

The last time Tech claimed a Big 12 Championship title was in the 2015-2016 season, when they beat the Kansas Jayhawks a 1-0 loss in the final round of the tournament, according to Tech Athletics. 

The Red Raiders currently have a 7-1 record with one game to go before conference play gets underway, according to Tech Athletics. Tech’s upcoming matchup will be against Loyola Marymount.

Prior to the upcoming conference play, Tech secured two solid wins coming against Florida International University and Oregon State University, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders scored a season high six goals against FIU, with four of those goals coming in the second half.

“We’ve been the better team in most of our games but just had trouble putting anybody away,” head coach Tom Stone said, following Tech’s win. “In this particular case we just unloaded in the second half, it was really just a mentality change.”

Junior forward Jade King is Tech’s leading goal scorer heading into the tough part of the schedule, according to Tech Athletics. King has netted six shots on the season, putting her in a tie for first in the Big 12 in goals scored. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto has had several solid performances so far in the season, according to Tech Athletics. Zucchetto has maintained a goals against average of .40 through a total of eight games.

Sophomore forward Kirsten Davis, sophomore forward Ally Griffin, and freshman defender Cassie Hiatt are the next leading goal scorers for the Red Raiders, according to Tech Athletics. 

All three of the mentioned players have notched two goals on the season and are in a tie for 13th in the Big 12 in goals scored. 

Junior midfielder Jayne Lydiatt and freshman forward Charlotte Teeter each lead Tech in total assists with two, according to Tech Athletics. Both Lydiatt and Teeter are tied for 13th in the Big 12 in assists.

Following the conference opener against West Virginia, Tech will face off against Iowa State, Sunday, Sept. 23, at 12 p.m. at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock