Texas Tech Open

Senior pole vault Drew McMichael sprints down the lane before vaulting himself up into the air during the Texas Tech Open track meet at 11 a.m., Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center.

The Texas Tech track and field team is set to host the Texas Tech Shootout meet at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 8, and 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, in the Sports Performance Center. 

The men’s team was ranked No. 1 in the nation by the USTFCCCA, while the women’s team sits at No. 20, according to Tech Athletics. Additionally, the men’s team is recognized as the top school in the country for the 200m, long jump and triple jump.

The women’s team stands as the top long jump program in the country. As a result, Tech is the only school to be ranked at the top in an event on both the men’s and women’s side. 

Tech head coach Wes Kittley said this meet is a little bit more competitive than the Texas Tech Open. 

“We’re going to compete a lot harder against maybe a little bit better field this week,” Kittley said. “With Texas, TCU, Arizona, BYU, we have a lot of schools that are coming in. We’re going to see four teams in the Big 12, but this just gives us another opportunity to still compete a lot of kids for the national mark and also get good conference marks.” 

Tech will also be welcoming some strong non-conference competition including Arizona, BYU, Wyoming and Penn State, according to Tech Athletics. 

The team is especially motivated to do well during this weekend’s meet, Kittley said.

“I think they’re eager to compete this weekend,” Kittley said. “I think that’s going to really make a difference. We’re trying to spread it out and peak them at the right time to give opportunities to kids, but everyone’s at a little bit different stage sometimes. We’re all at a little bit different pace, but I think this weekend with the good competition will make them step up.” 

The meet Friday will begin with the weight throw at 4 p.m., while track events will start at 5 p.m. with the 800m. Tickets for the meet can be purchased online at TexasTech.com.