Texas Tech Baseball vs. UT

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Caleb Kilian pitches against University of Texas in game two of their three game series at Dan Law Field on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Texas Tech took a victory against UT, 16-5.

After a trip to the College World Series to end the 2018 season, the Texas Tech baseball team is losing several familiar faces to professional ball.

Of the 11 Red Raiders selected in the 2018 MLB First-Year Player Draft, 10 have decided to leave Lubbock. The only player staying at Tech for another season is right-handed pitcher Caleb Kilian.

Kilian will return for his junior season after being selected by the Baltimore Orioles in the 20th round with the 595th overall pick. The sophomore posted a 9-3 record in 2018, including a loss to Florida in the College World Series that ended the Red Raiders’ season.

After his first two years at Tech, Kilian has a career ERA of 3.34 from his 110.1 innings pitched, according to Tech Athletics. He threw almost double the amount of innings in his second season than his freshman year but had only one more appearance as a sophomore.

Of all his teammates that were drafted, Kilian is the only pitcher staying at Tech for another season. Of the 10 Red Raiders that signed with MLB organizations, six were pitchers.

The ten Red Raiders leaving Tech for the pros are sophomore Grant Little; juniors Steven Gingery, Ryan Shetter, Davis Martin, Ty Harpenau and Cody Farhat; and seniors Jose Quezada, Michael Davis, Dylan Dusek and Zach Rheams.

The 11 Red Raiders drafted were a program high, according to Tech Athletics, and the most of any school through the first 30 rounds.