Fearless Champion Open (Day 2)

Sophomore jumps Chelsey Cole lands in the dirt after her jump during the Fearless Champion track meet on Saturday, March 23, 2019, at the Fuller Field. This concluded the two-day track meet.

The Texas Tech track and field team competed in The Reveille meet on Saturday, April 6, in College Station, in its last competition for the next two weeks. 

Junior Divine Oduduru started the Red Raiders off strong with a 10.13 in the 100m, according to Tech Athletics. As a result, he is now the second Tech member to rank in the top-five in the country in the event. 

Tech swept the quarter hurdles as a result of juniors Norman Grimes and Damajahnee Birch’s performances, according to Tech Athletics. Grimes made it into the national top-10 with his mark of 50.69, while Birch made a 58.67, which counted as her best mark as a Red Raider. 

Tech’s men’s 4x400 group had a solid performance, as they made a mark of 3:07.20, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Vincent Crisp, juniors Chancellor Stephenson and Norman Grimes, and freshman Sven Cepus all worked together to place third. 

Senior Nokuthula Dlamini started off with a personal record in the steeplechase for the second-straight weekend, according to Tech Athletics, after making a mark of 10:35.98 for the win. She later ran a 17:09.88 and won in her first career 5000m. 

Teach head coach Wes Kittley said he was impressed by Dlamini’s performances. 

“Nikki was as strong as I’ve ever seen her,” Kittley said, according to Tech Athletics. “She just looked like she was having fun and felt good. I’m proud of her because she looked like she just wanted to get out there and compete.” 

Sophomore Chelsey Cole stood out in the field events with a mark of 20’-5.25” for a second-place finish, according to Tech Athletics. The mark makes her the new team leader as well as third in the Big 12. She also placed third in the triple jump later in the day. 

Senior Charles Brown claimed a victory in the men’s long jump after going 26’-0.75,” according to Tech Athletics. Junior Justin Hall also made an impressive mark of 25’-4.5” which was his furthest NCAA wind-legal leap since last year’s Big 12 Championships. Sophomore Jake Benninghoff made a mark of 6’-11.75” which was his first collegiate victory as well as an outdoor personal record. 

Kittley said that this meet was a good start toward perfecting the team’s performances. 

“I call this a workout because we’re not running next week,” Kittley said, according to Tech Athletics. “If we’re not running again for two weeks, this is important to at least get a meet in. The month of April is a training month, and we needed this as a training day. I was really pleased and I think we got things accomplished.” 

The Red Raiders will take a week off next weekend and go on to compete in the Michael Johnson Invitational at Baylor on Friday, April 19 and Saturday, April 20, in Waco.