Texas Tech Soccer vs. Baylor

Senior forward Gwennie Puente goes after the ball during the Big 12 game against Baylor at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, Sept. 30th, 2018. The Red Raiders lost to the Bears, 2-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team dropped its fourth conference match of the season to the Baylor Bears, 2-0, on Sunday, Sept. 30, at the John Walker Soccer Complex in Lubbock.

Tech donned a conference record of 1-1-1 heading into the game against Baylor, and an overall record of 9-2-1, according to Tech Athletics. The Bears entered with a record of 8-4 overall, and 1-1 in Big 12 play.

The Red Raiders outshot Baylor 11-8, with six shots on goal. Only three of the Bears’ shots were on goal in the match. Both junior Jade King and senior Jordan Duke had three shots on the day to tie for the team high. Furthermore, King and Duke each had two on goal, and one off target.

Baylor struck first in the match following a strike from senior forward Jackie Crowther that found the back of the net in the 30th minute. The score to put Baylor up 1-0 marked Crowther’s third goal on the season, and gave the Bears a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.

Tech started out well in the match, as the Red Raiders were able to fire off four shots in the first half alone, with three on goal. On the other side, Baylor attempted five shots throughout the first half, and only two were on goal.

In the second half, Tech tagged five shots compared to Baylor’s three. Three of Tech’s five were on goal, while only one of the three Bear attempts were on goal.

Late in the second half, Crowther led the Bears’ offensive charge once again. Crowther capitalized on the push by notching her second goal of the game in the 81st minute of the match for her fourth goal of the season. At the final buzzer, Tech fell to Baylor, 2-0, in a hard-fought game by the Red Raiders.

The loss moves the Red Raiders’ overall season record to 9-3-1 and pushes their conference record to 1-2-1. Tech’s shutout loss to Baylor gives the Red Raiders their second dropped game at home.

The Red Raiders will have a few days off before continuing conference play with a match against the Oklahoma State University Cowgirls at 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5, in Stillwater, Oklahoma.