Texas Tech Soccer vs. Baylor

Junior forward Jade King takes over the ball during the Big 12 game against Baylor at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Sunday, Sept. 30th, 2018. The Red Raiders lost to the Bears, 2-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team defeated the Kansas University Jayhawks, 2-1, on Sunday, Oct. 14, in Lawrence, Kansas.

The game was hard fought until the final minute, where the Red Raiders went on for a thrilling comeback victory in overtime, according to Tech Athletics.

Tech took 10 shots on the day, with three on goal. Meanwhile, the Jayhawks totaled 19 shots with seven on goal, according to Tech Athletics. Each team had six shot attempts come in the second half alone.

By the midway point in the first half, sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto had already made a few pivotal saves, tipping off a shot attempt over the net in the 17th minute, immediately following saving a shot coming off a corner kick, according to Tech Athletics. Zucchetto had a total of six saves on the day.  

The score was a 0-0 as the game headed into halftime, according to Tech Athletics. Both teams were playing strong defense and maintained good control of the ball while on offense.

The Kansas Jayhawks found the back of the net to open the second half, hitting a successful cross and sailing the shot attempt past Tech’s goalie, according to Tech Athletics. KU’s goal moved the score to 1-0, with 37 minutes remaining.

Later in the match, freshman defender Cassie Hiatt scored a header off senior defender Brooke Denesik’s free kick, tying the score 1-1 with one minute minute to spare in the match, according to Tech Athletics. Hiatt’s goal marks her third of of the season.

The game was then forced into overtime, meaning the first team to score wins the game, according to Tech Athletics.

Three minutes into overtime, junior forward Jade King took a shot that ricocheted off a Jayhawk defender into the net, sending the Red Raiders home with a victory, according to Tech Athletics.  

The win moves Tech’s overall season record to 12-3-1 and its conference record to 4-2-1, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders now boast a better record while on the road compared to at home, claiming a record of 6-1-1 while away and a record of 6-2 at home.

For the next matchup, Tech will travel back to its home state to compete against Texas Christian University at 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 19 in Fort Worth, according to Tech Athletics.