Big 12 day two

Freshman Axel Hubert runs the last event of the multis at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The men's team achieved the victory with a total of 179 points.

The Texas Tech track and field team competed in the Jim Click Combined Events meet on Thursday, April 4, and Friday, April 5, in Tucson, Arizona.

Freshman Axel Hubert led the Red Raiders on Thursday, as he finished the first half of the dec in second with 3,880 points, according to Tech Athletics. This is a result of Hubert’s personal best in the long jump and a win in the shot put. He finished first or second in three of his five events.

Junior Rose Njoku gained 3,257 points in the first part of her heptathlon events, according to Tech Athletics. Her highest score was in the 400m hurdles, where she ran a 13.80 and placed third. Junior Tiara Williams ended her first day in 11th place with 3,009 points. Like Njoku, she also placed highest in the two running events.

At the end of the day, Hubert made a total of 7,490 points, marking the second most in program history, according to Tech Athletics. He also placed top five in four of his final events, including a victory in the pole vault and a second-place finish in the javelin.

Njoku set a personal record in the heptathlon with 5,195 points, according to Tech Athletics. Her highest scoring event of the day was when she gained 723 points from her 18’-3.75” long jump performance.

Williams finished fifth after beginning her day with 765 points, according to Tech Athletics. Her fifth-place long jump was her highest finish of the heptathlon. She placed 14th overall with a total of 4,769 points.

At West Texas A&M, the Red Raiders came out with three personal bests, according to Tech Athletics. Freshman Binta Ka ran a six-second personal record in the women’s 1500m at 4:51.44.

The last two personal records came in the women’s 5000m, including a 27-second best of 19:07.00 from sophomore Arianna Lopez as well as from sophomore Jazmyn Martinez with a time of 18:55.11, also a career best.