Texas Tech Track & Field Matador Qualifier

Sophomore Chloe Wall clears 4.27m in the Matador Qualifier at 3 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2019 in the Sports Performance Center. Wall's placed first in the Women's Pole Vault and set her personal record.

The No. 1 Texas Tech track and field team concluded its regular season on a high note in the Matador Qualifier on Friday, Feb. 15, in the Sports Performance Center.

The Red Raiders totaled eight personal records in the meet, according to Tech Athletics.

Tech found success in the pole vault event on both the men’s and women’s side of the spectrum. Senior vaulter Drew McMichael cleared the 18-feet mark for the first time this year in the qualifier, earning his spot in the national meet. 

“I’m not satisfied because I wanted that extra mark, but it set me up for Big 12, and I’m happy with it,” McMichael said, according to Tech Athletics. 

Sophomore Chloe Wall also hit a milestone vault on the day, as she cleared the 14-feet mark for the first time in her career to take first place in the event. Wall is now one of five Big 12 vaulters to have cleared the mark, according to Tech Athletics. Tech Director of Track and Field Wes Kittley shared his insight on the two performances. 

“I really hope it gives them a chance to make the national meet, but more importantly they are improving every week,” Kittley said, according to Tech Athletics. 

Senior sprinter Tiffani Johnson highlighted Tech’s success on the track by taking first in the 60m dash with a time of 7.36s, according to Tech Athletics. Johnson’s time places her at sixth in program history. 

The women’s team continued its big day in the 60m hurdles, claiming three of the top four finishes in the event, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Rose Njoku led the charge by clocking a time of 8.25s to win the event and set her at third in the Big 12. 

Following closely behind was sophomore Kaylor Harris who came in at 8.48s. Fellow sophomore sprinter Kyla Glenn crossed the finish line at 8.65s to secure fourth place, according to Tech Athletics.

The Red Raiders continued to dominate throughout the meet in both field and track events. 

Graduate student thrower Duke Kicinski swept the shotput and weight throw events with launches measuring 18.39m and 18.04m respectively, according to Tech Athletics. Redshirt sophomore Braden Darrow also had success throwing, taking third place in shotput with a launch measuring 16.55m. 

As for the women’s side, sophomore Seasons Usual earned another win for her squad in the weight throw event with a launch measuring 59’-2.75,” according to Tech Athletics.

Looking ahead, Tech will return to action on Friday, Feb. 22, at the Big 12 Championships hosted in the Sports Performance Center.