Big 12 day two

Junior Divine Oduduru wins the 200 meters dash at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The men's team achieved the victory with a total of 179 points.

The Texas Tech track and field team broke multiple records at the Michael Johnson Invitational on Friday, April 19, and Saturday, April 20, in Waco. 

On the first day of the meet, junior Werner Bouwer surpassed a 28-year-old school record in the javelin, according to Tech Athletics. This was the third oldest outdoor record in Tech program history. Bouwer threw a 243’-0.25” on his second throw. 

Bouwer said he was happy to make his mark at Tech. 

“It’s an honor to finally get the school record,” Bouwer said, according to Tech Athletics. “It is something I have been working really hard for, and it is very humbling. I decided to work extremely hard over the summer and the fall coming into this season. My goal was to be as strong and healthy as possible to put me in position to throw far.” 

Bouwer’s mark is also the first time a Red Raider has ever thrown over 74 meters, according to Tech Athletics, and makes him fourth in the country. He is likely to qualify for the NCAA West Preliminary in late May as a result. 

Assistant coach for the throws, Cliff Felkins, said he sees growth in Bouwer’s performances. 

“The whole point of the season is to improve along the way,” Felkins said, according to Tech Athletics. “It’s like an unfinished book. He’s a talent and he’s young, so we’re trying to mature him as a person and mature technically, and when that happens, it’ll all come together.” 

Other field competitors at the meet included junior Dorleta Armendariz-Lasa who remained in seventh place after her 178’-10” mark in the hammer throw, according to Tech Athletics. 

On the second day of the meet, junior Divine Oduduru ran two world leads in one hour, according to Tech Athletics. Oduduru competed in both the 100m and 200m and crossed in 9.94 seconds and 19.76. 

Oduduru said the records are a result of extremely hard work. 

“I worked for this,” Oduduru said, according to Tech Athletics. “My coaches have always been telling me that I have to get into the moment where I can feel everything. I want to say thank you to Coach (Calvin) Robinson for getting me to this point in my life and my career. We have a great team, and I want to say thank you to everyone for their love and support.” 

Senior Andrew Hudson also had stand out performances, as he ran a personal best of 10.13 in the 100m putting him in fifth place in the Tech record books and sixth in the nation this year, according to Tech Athletics. He also went on to run an outdoor personal record of 20.41 in the 200m, which is the fastest time in Tech history. 

Robinson said he is proud of Hudson. 

“AJ had a heck of a day,” Robinson said, according to Tech Athletics. “We’ve spent the last few weeks since Texas A&M working on some things. He had a great last four or five days of practice and this was the outcome.” 

Junior Norman Grimes ran a 49.75, placing him in the top-10 world ranks, while senior Odaine Lewis made a mark of 54’-2.75” in the spring, placing him in second in the country, according to Tech Athletics. Lewis’ mark is also the fifth farthest in program history. 

In the high jump, senior Zarriea Willis made a 6’-0.75,” making this the third time she has gone over 1.85m, according to Tech Athletics. Grad student Duke Kicinski won in the discus after going over 200 feet for the second time this season at a 203’-3.5.” This marks the fifth farthest discus mark in school history. Lastly, sophomore Chloe Wall made a personal best in the pole vault after making a mark of 13’-10.” 

The team is next set to return back home on Friday, April 26, for a one-day home meet. The meet will start at 5 p.m. The senior awards recognition will begin at 4:30 p.m.