Texas Tech vs. Texas

Junior forward Jade King kicks the ball towards the goal against the Texas Longhorns at the John Walker Soccer Complex on Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018. The Red Raiders defeated the Longhorns, 1-0.

The Texas Tech soccer team opened the first round of the NCAA Tournament against No. 21 Princeton University, Friday, Nov. 9, at the John Walker Soccer Complex. Tech downed the Princeton Tigers, 3-0, to advance further into the playoff bracket. Tonights shutout marks the Red Raiders fifth time in program history to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

This is the first time the Red Raiders have both competed in and hosted a first round matchup in the NCAA Tournament since 2015, according to Tech Athletics. Furthermore, tonight's win accounts for the first time Tech has advanced to the second round of the bracket challenge since 2015, where they outlasted the University of North Texas, 1-0.

The Red Raiders came out of the gate charging with authority, as junior forward Jade King netted Tech’s first goal just eight minutes into the game, according to Tech Athletics. Sophomore forward Kirsten Davis delivered a perfect cross to enable King’s scoring strike.

The Red Raiders held a 1-0 lead as the teams headed in for halftime, according to Tech Athletics. Tech sent off eight shots in the first half while the Tigers had one less at seven.

Early on in the second half, Davis sent the ball into the back of net for her seventh goal on the season, according to Tech Athletics.  The scoring shot resulted of sophomore forward Ally Griffin stealing the ball from a Princeton defender and dishing it out to Davis for the assist. Tech held a 2-0 lead just over 30 minutes to go in the match.

Only minutes later, Davis fetched a loose ball in the corner before crossing it to freshman forward Charlotte Teeter who capitalized on the play with a header to extend the Red Raider lead to 3-0, according to Tech Athletics. The home squad defended its pitch throughout the remainder of the match, preventing the Tigers from any potential scoring opportunities, according to Tech Athletics.

Davis, who was tabbed as player of the game, totaled four points in the contest to pay dividends fo Tech’s second goal of the night and a pair of crucial assists.

Next up, the Red Raiders are set to face off against No. 12 University of Virginia in the second round of the postseason, with the location to be determined, according to Tech Athletics.