Texas Tech Shootout

Senior Odaine Lewis completes a triple jump at the Texas Tech Shootout track meet on Friday, Feb. 8, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Texas Tech Shootout will continue tomorrow, Saturday Feb. 9.

The Texas Tech track and field team climbed in national rankings due to several personal records during the Texas Tech Shootout meet on Friday, Feb. 8, and Saturday, Feb. 9, in the Sports Performance Center.

Junior Divine Oduduru started the men’s team off strong with a season best of 6.62s in the 60m, allowing him to advance to the finals, according to Tech Athletics. In the finals, he won with a time of 6.56, which ties him for the school record set by senior Andrew Hudson in the Texas Tech Classic. Both Oduduru and Hudson currently rank third in the nation and hold the top two spots in the Big 12.

Tech assistant coach Calvin Robinson said he has seen Oduduru apply what he does in practice during the meets.

“We went back to work and fixed some things to make sure he was confident with what he was doing,” Robinson said. “We talked about coming out and running two fast races, because that’s what it’s going to take at Big 12s and NCAAs, and that’s what he did. He had good execution, he looked fluid and I’m happy with the way he did.”

Freshman Jacolby Shelton and junior Keion Sutton also made it into the finals on the men’s side, according to Tech Athletics. Shelton was behind Oduduru with a time of 6.67, tying his personal best, while Sutton placed in sixth at 6.75.

On the women’s side, senior Sara Limp stood out as she made a personal best of 52.51 in the 400m causing her to jump 10 places in the national rankings, according to Tech Athletics. Additionally, Limp’s mark was an indoor personal best as well as the second fastest 400m time in school history, advancing her to become the new leader of the Big 12.

Robinson said Limp’s outstanding performance was just a matter of time.

“Sara had a great race,” Robinson said. “She was due for this and she looked great.”

Junior Jah-Nhai Perinchief made a mark of 53’-9.75” in the triple jump putting him at second in the Big 12, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Odaine Lewis made a mark of 54’-9.25” on his final jump, moving him from fourth to third in national rankings.

Junior Chinne Okoronkwo made a mark of 43’-10” which is the second longest triple jump in Tech history and helped her remain second in the Big 12.

During Saturday’s meet, freshman Axel Hubert competed in his first collegiate heptathlon and marked a personal record in six events, helping him to rack up 5,746 points overall, according to Tech Athletics. As a result, Hubert is now second in the Big 12 and sixth in the country.

On the track, the women’s 200m runners all set personal records, according to Tech Athletics. Junior D’Jenne Egharevba placed third with 23:49, putting him at eighth in Tech history. Sophomore Peyton Ricks made a mark of 23.975, while junior Robyn Byrd finished at 23.978.

The men’s relay team, which consisted of Oduduru, junior Tyreek Mathis and seniors Vincent Crisp and Andrew Hudson, placed second with a time of 3:07.53, according to Tech Athletics.

In the field events, senior Charles Brown made a mark of 25’-2.75” in the long jump and was followed by junior Justin Hall who placed second at 25’-1.25”.

Up next, the Red Raiders are set to host the Matador Qualifier at 3 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15, in the Sports Performance Center where they will look to  improve before hosting the Big 12 Indoor Championships on Friday, Feb. 22, and Saturday, Feb. 23.