Big 12 day two

Head coach Wes Kittley and Junior Chancellor Stephenson hug at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The men's team achieved the victory with a total of 179 points.

The Texas Tech track and field team had several Red Raiders recognized by the USTFCCCA and Big 12 for their indoor award winners.

Tech claimed five of the eight possible USTFCCCA Mountain Region Awards, which included all four of the men’s honors, according to Tech Athletics. This is a result of the men’s team holding on to the nation’s top ranking all year, including heading to the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Junior Divine Oduduru was voted Men’s Track Athlete of the Year for his performance during the indoor season, according to Tech Athletics. Additionally, Oduduru is the first Red Raider to claim the title since 2013.

Senior Odaine Lewis claimed the Men’s Field Athlete of the Year award after ranking fourth in the long jump and seventh in the triple jump. This puts him in a position to earn First Team All-America honors in both events.

As for the coaches, Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Wes Kittley was named Head Coach of the Year for the third straight indoor season, according to Tech Athletics. Assistant coach Calvin Robinson was named the Men’s Assistant Coach of the Year, making this the third time in four years Robinson has been voted the top men’s assistant in the region.

Associate head coach James Thomas was voted the Mountain Region’s Women’s Assistant Coach of the Year for the third time in a row, according to Tech Athletics. Thomas helped to secure three national qualifiers which include senior Zarriea Willis for the high jump, junior Ivy Walker for the long jump and junior Chinne Okoronkwo for the triple jump.

Tech also won two of the three Big 12 men’s awards, starting with Kittley being named Head Coach of the Year after the men’s team gained 179 points in the Big 12 Championships, according to Tech Athletics. This marks the most prominent victory in the conference.

Oduduru was also voted Performer of the Year after winning both the 60m and 200m.

Fifteen Red Raiders will travel to Birmingham, Alabama, to compete in the NCAA Indoor Championship on Friday, March 8, and Saturday, March 9.