Texas Tech softball vs. Clarendon

Sophomore utility Erin Edmoundson sent the ball flying during the softball game against Clarendon at Rocky Johnson Field on Wednesday, Oct. 3rd, 2018. The Red Raiders won against the Bulldogs, 7-5.

The Texas Tech softball team set the tone for the 2019 season with two consecutive wins in day one of the Lone Star Collegiate Classic on Friday, Feb. 8, in Conroe.

The Red Raiders, now 2-0 on the year, defeated Omaha, 13-2, and went on to top Nebraska, 15-10, according to Tech Athletics. 

Sophomore ace Erin Edmoundson got the start in the circle for Tech and settled in nicely alongside the Red Raider defense. Edmoundson allowed two runs on two hits and two walks in her season debut. The southpaw struck out six on the day, according to Tech Athletics. 

Though the defense was crisp allowing no errors, the Red Raiders bats are what highlighted the first game. Tech run ruled its first opponent thanks to five RBIs off the bat of senior first baseman Jessica Hartwell. Hartwell had the closing swing on Tech’s first win, hitting a walkoff grand slam to reach the mercy rule, according to Tech Athletics. 

The Red Raider offense scored 13 runs on 14 hits and three walks, with only two strikeouts. Senior shortstop Taylor Satchell had three hits and two RBIs in the game, according to Tech Athletics. Satchell is currently in her second year as a Red Raider, as she transferred from LSU as a junior. 

In game two, Tech got the best of Nebraska, however, this victory wasn’t as easily acquired as the one before. The Red Raider defense allowed two errors and Tech’s pitching staff gave up 12 hits, according to Tech Athletics. 

Edmoundson threw 4.1 innings and allowed four runs on four hits with only two walks while striking out seven, according to Tech Athletics. Junior Missy Zoch, transfer from DePaul, threw 2.2 innings and allowed four earned runs and two unearned on four hits, five walks and six strikeouts. 

Despite defensive adversity, the Red Raiders bats remained hot, matching Nebraska with 12 hits. Tech took advantage of the Huskers' five errors, and outscored Nebraska, 15-10, according to Tech Athletics. Satchell continued to see the ball well, going 2-3 at the plate with three RBIs. 

Redshirt sophomore Heaven Burton served as Tech’s engine offensively in game two, going 3-4 at the plate with a pair of walks, according to Tech Athletics. Sophomore Trinity Edwards, a transfer from Missouri, made her presence felt with three hits and three RBIs in the game. 

Redshirt junior Karli Hamilton also had a successful day at the plate, going 1-3 with three RBIs to help her squad, according to Tech Athletics.

The Red Raiders will continue play in the Lone Star Collegiate Classic Saturday, Feb. 9, at 2 p.m. against Nebraska and 7 p.m. against Wisconsin.