Women's Soccer vs. West Virginia

Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto kicks the ball onto the field during the game against West Virginia University at John Walker Soccer Complex on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018. The Lady Raiders lost the game, 0-2.

Freshman defender Cassie Hiatt and sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Zucchetto of the Texas Tech soccer team have each earned a Big 12 Player of the Week award following Tech’s sweep on its Kansas road trip.

Hiatt was recognized as the Freshman of the Week, while Zucchetto received Defensive Player of the Week honors, according to Tech Athletics. Late in the game against Kansas University, Hiatt nailed a header into the back of the net, forcing the match into overtime, where the Red Raiders then took home the victory. 

This is the second straight week Zucchetto has been named Defensive Player of the Week for the conference, according to Tech Athletics. She is the only player in the Big 12 who has nabbed three weekly awards this year. 

Of the two matches played against Kansas and Kansas State over the weekend, Zucchetto only allowed one goal and successfully saved six, according to Tech Athletics. Zucchetto shutout the Kansas State Wildcats for her 10th shutout on the season which leads in both the Big 12 and the nation.