Big 12

Junior Divine Oduduru leads the 60 meters dash at the Big 12 Championship on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019, in the Sports Performance Center. The Big 12 Championship will continue tomorrow morning, Saturday Feb. 23.

In a single hour, junior Divine Oduduru, a Texas Tech track standout, gained two 2019 world leads in the 100m and 200m.

He accomplished this feat at the Michael Johnson Invitational on Saturday, April 20, in Waco.

Oduduru became the first Red Raider to run a sub-10 in the 100m at 9.94 seconds, according to Tech Athletics. He later went on to run the second fastest 200m in collegiate history at 19.76s.

Tech head coach Wes Kittley, who has been coaching track and field for over three decades, said he has never seen anything like Oduduru’s performances in all his years of coaching.

“It was the most impressive thing I’ve seen as a coach,” Kittley said, according to Tech Athletics.

Oduduru’s performances in the 100m and the 200m come in the hopes of landing a top spot at next month’s NCAA West Preliminary, according to Tech Athletics. He also hopes to improve his No. 6 national time.

These records also make him the ninth Nigerian to ever run sub-10 in the 100m, and the second to go sub-20 in the 200m, according to Tech Athletics.

Oduduru said these records are the results of a lot of hard work and practice with Tech sprint and hurdles coach Calvin Robinson.

“I want to say thank you to coach Robinson for getting me to this point in my life and my career. We have a great team, and I want to say thank you to everyone for their love and support,” Oduduru said, according to Tech Athletics. “(Sprints are) something we do in practice. We run, time the rest, then come back and run another race. (Robinson) said to just run it the way I do in practice.”

Oduduru is now one of 122 sprinters in history to have broken the 10-second barrier in the 100m, and one of only 72 sprinters who have gone sub-20 in the 200m, according to Tech Athletics. Oduduru doing both within an hour timespan is unheard of.

Robinson said Oduduru was just doing what he normally does in practice.

“Run, rest and run again,” Robinson said, according to Tech Athletics. “It’s exactly what we do in practice. We came here with the mentality of getting work in, and we got it done.”

The Red Raiders will return home on Friday, April 26, for a one-day home meet where Oduduru hopes to break even more records. Additionally, the senior awards recognition ceremony will take place at 4:30 p.m. before the meet starts at 5.