Texas Tech Men's Tennis vs. Baylor

Senior singles player Artem Kapshuk celebrates the win on his knees following his singles match at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The No. 23 Texas Tech men’s tennis team upset No. 6 Baylor by a score of 4-3 to close out the regular season on Sunday, April 14, at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The Red Raiders finish the year with a 15-10 record. 

In doubles play, Tech was able to take an early lead after duo Tommy Mylnikov and Jackson Cobb won their match, 6-3, to take half a point. Following that win, the No. 7 duo of Parker Wynn and Bjorn Thomson took on the No. 1 duo in country and won by taking six of the last seven set points, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech had the 1-0 lead going into singles play. Wynn took the first singles point in the match after beating the No. 22 ranked singles player in the nation in straight sets, according to Tech Athletics. 

Baylor grabbed the next two singles points, evening the score at 2-2, according to Tech Athletics. Ilgiz Valiev gave Tech its third point and the lead back after winning his match in straight sets.

Senior Artem Kapshuk was in the position clinch the win for the Red Raiders. He battled for three-sets to grab the fourth and winning point for Tech, according to Tech Athletics. 

Head coach Brett Masi said he was proud of the seniors and how they finished out the regular season.

“Tommy came up big for us and grabbed that half point in doubles play, and then for Artem to close out the season the way he did is just huge for us,” Masi said, according to Tech Athletics.