Baseball vs. FIU

Sophomore infielder Parker Kelly swings to hit the ball during the game against Florida International University at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, May 7, 2019, at Dan Law Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Panthers, 9-6.

The No. 10 Texas Tech baseball team started the final series of the regular season with a 3-1 loss against Texas Christian in 14 innings on Thursday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. 

With the loss, the Red Raiders have posted a 34-15 overall record this season, 14-8 record in Big 12 play and a 23-6 record at home. 

Freshman RHP Micah Dallas started the game out strong as he struck two batters out swinging and fielded a hard bounce at the mound and made the out at first, retiring the first three Horned Frogs of the night in the first inning. 

After a scoreless first inning, Tech’s defense continued to start strong as Dallas initiated a Red Raider double play. He fielded a grounder, threw to junior Josh Jung at second and Jung threw the batter out at first. The top of the second inning ended as sophomore catcher Braxton Fulford caught a runner stealing second. 

Both TCU and Tech were unable to score a run after four innings of play. The Red Raiders kept the Horned Frogs scoreless in the fifth with another double play as junior Brian Klein fielded a grounder, tossed a runner out at second and Jung threw the batter out at first. 

In the top of the sixth inning, Fulford caught his second runner of the night stealing second. Immediately after, Dallas struck his sixth batter out as the Horned Frog faced a full count.

The Red Raiders kept the Horned Frogs scoreless in the sixth as Klein made a ground out to end the inning. 

TCU’s starting pitcher Nick Lodolo retired three-straight Red Raiders to end the sixth inning. As the sixth inning came to a conclusion, Lodolo only gave up two hits and no walks, striking nine batters out. 

As both teams struggled to score off the starting pitchers, Fulford caught a runner stealing second for his third time of the night in the seventh inning. Dallas also earned two strikeouts to keep TCU off of the scoreboard. 

Dallas was relieved at the mound by junior RHP Taylor Floyd in the eighth inning. In his career-high 7.0 innings at the mound, Dallas threw 96 pitches and gave up seven hits, two walks and no runs. He also struck eight batters out. 

The Horned Frogs were in scoring position as Bobby Goodloe singled up the middle and moved to third off a sac bunt and a passed ball with one out in the top of the eighth inning. Floyd then got the fans on their feet as he struck two straight batters out to keep TCU scoreless. 

Tech loaded the bases in the bottom of the eighth with three hits by sophomore Kurt Wilson, Fulford and sophomore Dylan Neuse. Klein was up to bat with the bases loaded and two outs but came up short as Lodolo earned his 13th strikeout of the night. 

TCU’s Johnny Rizer doubled with a hit to right field to start the ninth inning. Alex Isola then followed with a hit to center field. As Rizer rounded third, Neuse fired a throw from the outfield to keep Rizer from scoring. Floyd then struck a batter out to end the top of the ninth inning. 

Lodolo was relieved in the bottom of the ninth inning by Cal Coughlin. Lodolo pitched in 8.0 innings and struck 13 batters out. He also gave up five hits, no walks and no runs in his time at the mound. 

Warren was able to earn a hit in the bottom of the ninth but the Red Raiders were unable to capitalize off of it, sending the game into extra innings with a 0-0 score. 

Junior LHP Dane Haveman started the 10th inning at the mound striking two batters out, keeping the Horned Frogs scoreless. In his 2.0 innings at the mound, he gave up three hits and a walk while earning four strikeouts. 

The Red Raiders could not score in the bottom of the 10th inning.

With one out in the top of the 11th inning, Haveman gave up a single to Rizer and was replaced with junior RHP John McMillon. Rizer then stole second and a throwing error by Fulford sent Rizer to third. McMillon struck a batter out swinging but Fulford dropped the pitch and on his way to throw the batter out at first, he lost his footing and Rizer scored, giving TCU a 1-0 lead. 

Trailing by one in the bottom of the 11th, Klein flied out and Jung grounded out to start the inning with two outs. Warren then singled up the middle and freshman Dru Baker was sent in to pinch run. Sophomore Cody Masters doubled with a hit to right field and Baker rounded third to go home and dodged the catcher with a slide.

Baker was ruled out but after the play went under official review, he was ruled safe, tying the game, 1-1, in the 11th inning. 

Three-straight outs in the infield kept the Horned Frogs off of the bases and back to the field in the 12th inning. Haylen Green started the 12th inning at the mound for TCU with the game tied, 1-1. 

Starting the bottom of the 12th inning, Fulford singled to left center and sophomore Gabe Holt used his speed to make his way to first on an infield hit. The two hits resulted in TCU making a pitching change, sending Dalton Brown to the mound. Brown ended the inning, keeping the Red Raiders from scoring. 

The Red Raiders loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the 13th inning after Baker and Masters singled and Wilson was hit by a pitch. Tech couldn’t capitalize after both freshman Max Marusak and Fulford struck out to end the inning. 

McMillon was replaced at the mound with freshman RHP Clayton Beeter after striking a batter out and giving up two hits. The strikeout was the Red Raiders’ 20th of the night, which was the most since March 14, 2008, when Tech played Texas A&M. McMillon struck six total batters out in 3.0 innings. 

TCU loaded the bases in the 14th inning and Zach Humphreys doubled down the right-field line to send two Horned Frogs home, giving them a 3-1 lead. 

Following TCU’s two-run inning, Holt singled with an infield hit and Neuse reached first after he sent a grounder to third base and a fielding error was made. TCU then retired three-straight Red Raiders, ending the game with a final score of 3-1. 

The Red Raiders and Horned Frogs will continue the series on Friday at 6:30 p.m. at Dan Law Field. The game of the series and Tech’s regular season will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.