Texas Tech Baseball vs Stetson

Sophomore Cody Masters runs to final base during the game against Stetson at 1 p.m. on Monday, March 25, 2019, at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. This is the second game against the Hatters for the Red Raiders after yesterday's defeat.

The No. 22 Texas Tech baseball team will continue its road trip with a midweek game against Duke, starting at 5 p.m. Tuesday in Durham, North Carolina. 

Duke posts an 18-15 overall record, including its 12-9 record at home, according to D1Baseball. Against teams ranked in the top 25, the Blue Devils are 1-7 after being swept by No. 8 Louisville and No. 15 North Carolina. The team's only ranked win was against No. 13 East Carolina with a 7-2 victory on March 12. 

Tech has earned a 23-11 record on the season with a 7-6 record on the road, according to D1Baseball. The Red Raiders have posted a 17-5 record against non-conference teams this season. 

At the plate, Duke’s standout player is Kennie Taylor who leads the Blue Devils with a .347 batting average, 50 hits, 20 hits for extra bases and 30 RBIs this season, according to Duke Athletics. Taylor is also tied with Chris Crabtree after scoring 26 runs each. Taylor is one home run behind Michael Rothenberg and Matt Mervis, who each hit four homers this season. 

The Red Raiders’ offense is led by junior Brian Klein who has a .363 batting average and 45 hits, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Cameron Warren leads the team with eight home runs and 41 RBIs. Sophomore Dylan Neuse posts the second-highest batting average with a .336 and has scored 38 runs, leading the team by eight. 

The Blue Devils' team batting average is .274 after 1,160 at-bats this season, according to Duke Athletics. The team has also recorded 318 hits, 209 runs, 192 RBIs and 24 home runs as a team, heading into the game against the Red Raiders. 

Compared to the Duke, Tech’s team batting average is .300 after 1,182 at-bats, according to Tech Athletics. The Red Raiders offense has also recorded 355 hits, 267 runs, 253 RBIs and 33 home runs this season as they approach their game against the Blue Devils. 

Duke’s three starting pitchers include Cooper Stinson, Bill Chillari and Bryce Jarvis, according to Duke Athletics. Stinson leads the starters with a 3.25 ERA after pitching in 36.0 innings and giving up 13 earned runs. He also leads the pitching staff with 50 strikeouts. Jarvis has struck the second-most batters out after earning 48 strikeouts this season. Chillari has walked the least amount of batters out of the starters compared to Stinson’s 28 and Jarvis’ 22. 

Tech’s redshirt junior Erikson Lanning leads the starters on the pitching staff with a 3.34 ERA after pitching in 32.1 innings and giving up 12 earned runs, according to Tech Athletics. Junior 

Caleb Kilian is coming off of his first career complete-game shutout where he also matched his career-high nine strikeouts with no walks in nine innings. Kilian trails freshman Micah Dallas and junior Taylor Floyd by one strikeout as the two lead the team with 37 strikeouts this season. 

As a whole, the Blue Devils pitching staff posts a 3.78 team ERA after pitching in 298.0 innings and giving up 125 earned runs this season, according to Duke Athletics. The team has given up 260 hits, 164 runs and 155 walks while striking out 344 batters this season. 

The Red Raider pitching staff has a 4.05 team ERA after pitching in 300.1 innings and giving up 135 earned runs, according to Tech Athletics. This season, the pitchers have given up 280 hits, 162 runs and 138 walks while striking out 292 batters. 

After the matchup against Duke, the team will head back to Lubbock to continue Big 12 play with a three-game series against No. 18 Baylor. The series will begin at 6:30 p.m. Thursday and will follow at 6:30 Friday evening. The final game of the series will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday.