Kansas vs. Texas Tech Softball Game 1

Senior infielder Taylor Satchell prepares to make it into home plate during game one against Kansas at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 18, 2019, at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders lost to Kansas, 6-4.

The No. 15 Texas Tech softball team fell to the Kansas Jayhawks, 6-4, in the series opener on Thursday, April 18, at Rocky Johnson Field. 

This loss moved the Red Raiders' record to 33-9 overall and 6-7 in the Big 12. 

Breanna Russell kicked off the game with a hit, but the Red Raider offense could not rally behind her and ended the first inning scoreless. Kansas followed in Tech's footsteps as starting pitcher Missy Zoch held them to a scoreless inning. 

In the second inning, the Jayhawks found their footing and put up four runs on five hits taking the first lead of the game, according to Tech Athletics. Pitcher Erin Edmoundson stepped into the circle to relieve Zoch and stayed in for the reminder of the game. 

The Red Raiders secured two hits over the following three innings, but Kansas recorded it sixth run of the game in the top of the fifth after a two-run homer from Madison Sykes, according to Tech Athletics. 

Taylor Satchell, Karli Hamilton and Heaven Burton rallied together to secure three consecutive singles to load the bases for the Red Raiders and, after a two-out walk from Trenity Edwards, Tech secured its first run, according to the release. 

The Jayhawks went scoreless in the top of the sixth and the Red Raiders capitalized on that as Bylthe and Jones hit two consecutive singles to put pressure on the Kansas defense, according to the release. Satchell secured Tech’s second run of the day on an RBI single after a double play. 

Burton nailed a single to third and hit the glove of a Jayhawk before rolling into center field, allowing one runner to cross home. After an error on the Kansas side, Hamilton came sliding home cutting into the Jayhawks' lead down, 6-4, according to the release. 

Edmoundson sent the Red Raiders back into the dugout on a three up, three down frame and Edwards kept that momentum going as she nailed a hit to short, according to Tech Athletics. Blythe followed in her lead, putting runners into the scoring position after she hit a one-out double to the wall. 

Despite the attempt at a comeback, the Red Raiders fell short after a strikeout and ground out ended the game, and Kansas found victory, 6-4. 

Action will continue at 6 p.m. on Friday, April 19, at Rocky Johnson Field.