MBBBig12Champions-0284.jpg

The Texas Tech men's basketball team holds up the Big 12 trophy during the team's Welcome Home celebration on Saturday, March 9, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. After defeating Iowa State, the Red Raiders won their first Big 12 title in program history.

No. 8 Texas Tech men's basketball defeated Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, 80-73, to secure a share of being Big 12 champions. 

With the Red Raider win, Tech finished its regular season with a 25-5 record. 

The Cyclones started the game with an early 8-0 lead, but the Red Raiders bounced back with a nine-point run to give them the first lead of the game.

From then on, the first quarter was a back-and-forth battle between the two teams and ,after the 8-0 run by the Cyclones, there was no lead larger than three points in the first half until the 3:19 mark. 

In the last two and a half minutes of the first half, the Cyclones went on a seven-point run in a span of two minutes to put Iowa State up, 33-25. Sophomore Davide Moretti then hit an open-corner three to end the scoring drought.

Redshirt senior Matt Mooney then cut the Cyclones’ lead with a corner three to cut the lead, 36-31, at the end of the shot clock. Moretti ended the half with another buzzer-beater three to send the Red Raiders to the locker room down, 36-34, after the first half. 

Sophomore Jarrett Culver led the team with 12 points in the first half and Moretti was right behind him with 11. On the defensive end, Mooney led the team with three steals and senior Brandone Francis had the only block for the Red Raiders. 

The second half started off with another back-and-forth scoring battle. Tech earned an early 51-45 lead after going on a 10-0 scoring run with Moretti making a jumper, Culver and Moretti draining a three each and Mooney taking it to the hole for a layup. 

With about seven minutes left in the game, Culver made a layup. Francis then stole the ball on an Iowa State inbound play, which led to Culver converting an and-one play after being fouled on a layup to put Tech up, 62-55. 

Toward the end of the game, Iowa State tied it up after a hook-and-hold foul was called on redshirt senior Tariq Owens to give him a flagrant one foul. Iowa State made both free throws, then Wigginton was fouled on a layup. He made both to tie the game, 65-65. F

rancis then drained three to silence the crowd and give Tech a 68-65 lead. 

Following the tie-breaking three, the Red Raiders didn’t let up and went on a 7-0 run with Culver making a jump shot at the baseline and Owens getting fouled after picking up an offensive rebound to put Tech up, 72-65. 

The Red Raiders clinched their win with free throws after Culver was fouled on a midrange jump shot and Moretti was intentionally fouled twice. All six free throws were made and Tech defeated Iowa State ,80-73. 

Culver led the team offensively with 31 points and Moretti had 20. Both Culver and Moretti led the team with four threes each.

Owens led the team with 14 rebounds and three blocks. Mooney led the team with four steals. 

The Red Raiders' next game has not yet been determined as they will wait to see how seeding will wrap up for the Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship.