TTU Baseball vs Baylor

Freshman Micah Dallas pitches the ball. The Red Raiders won the game against Baylor by scoring a third run in the ninth inning leaving the score 3-2. The game began at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019, at the Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.

The No. 18 Texas Tech baseball team will play New Mexico at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park for the third time this season.

The last time the Red Raiders and Lobos met, they split the two-game series 1-1. 

New Mexico currently posts an 18-21 overall record, 11-10 record against non-conference teams and a 4-7 record on the road, according to New Mexico Athletics. After facing the Red Raiders on April 3, the Lobos have only won three games while losing seven. 

Heading into their fourth-straight home game, the Red Raiders have a 25-13 overall record, 17-6 non-conference record and are 17-4 at home. The Red Raiders are coming off a series win against No. 21 Baylor, in which they run-ruled the Bears in the seventh inning to close out the weekend. 

The Lobos’ offense is dominated by Jared Mang who leads the team with a .395 batting average, 62 hits, 48 runs scored and 43 RBIs this season, according to New Mexico Athletics. Jared Mang’s brother, Connor Mang, has also had a big impact for the Lobos, ranking second on the team with a .362 batting average, 54 hits and 34 RBIs.

Both Jared and Connor Mang hit three home runs this season, which is the second most on the team as Jeff Deimling leads with five homers. 

Junior Brian Klein leads the Red Raiders with a .359 batting average and 51 hits this season, according to Tech Athletics. Senior Cameron Warren leads the team and the Big 12 with 48 RBIs. Warren also leads the team with nine home runs, ranking third in the conference.

Sophomore Dylan Neuse leads the Red Raiders with 44 runs scored and is second on the team with seven home runs. Both Klein and Neuse are also tied for second on the team with 36 RBIs. 

As a team, New Mexico has a .297 batting average after 1,349 at-bats, according to New Mexico Athletics. The Lobos earned a total of 401 hits, 258 runs scored, 232 RBIs and 15 home runs collectively. 

Tech’s collective batting average is .302 after 1,329 at-bats this season, according to Tech Athletics. The team has earned a total of 401 hits, 299 runs scored, 281 RBIs and 39 home runs heading into the midweek game. 

New Mexico’s pitching staff is led by Justin Slaten who has started in 10 games, posting a 2.98 ERA after pitching in a team-high 60.1 innings and giving up 20 earned runs, according to New Mexico Athletics. Slaten also leads the team with 73 strikeouts which are almost double the amount as Malachi Emond, who is second on the team with 38. 

Freshman Micah Dallas leads the Tech starting pitchers with a 3.32 ERA after pitching in 38.0 innings and giving up 14 earned runs, according to Tech Athletics. Dallas also leads the team with 42 strikeouts this season. Junior Caleb Kilian is right behind him after striking out 41 batters and posting a 4.36 ERA this season. 

The Lobos’ pitching staff has a 6.49 ERA collectively after pitching in 341.0 innings and giving up 246 earned runs, according to New Mexico Athletics. The pitchers have given up 430 hits, 287 runs, 161 walks and 25 home runs while striking 310 batters out this season. 

As a whole, the Red Raider pitching staff has a 4.37 ERA after pitching in 335.1 innings and giving up 163 runs, according to Tech Athletics. Tech’s pitchers have given up 325 hits, 191 runs, 151 walks and 15 home runs this season while striking out 322 batters. 

Tech and New Mexico were originally supposed to play on Tuesday and Wednesday, but the teams mutually agreed to cancel Wednesday’s game. The game on Tuesday will be aired on FOX Sports Southwest Plus.