Red Raider Softball vs Kansas Game 2

Redshirt junior Karli Hamilton throws the ball to home plate during game two against Kansas at 6 p.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders tied the series against the Jayhawks, 10-2 in five innings.

The No. 12 Texas Tech softball team found its momentum on day two as the team took down Kansas in a 10-2 run rule to even up the series, 1-1, on Friday, April 19, at Rocky Johnson Field. 

With this win the Red Raiders advance to 34-9 overall for the season and 7-7 in Big 12 play. This win records Tech’s highest mark since the 2014 season where the team went 35-19. 

The Red Raiders kicked things off with a strikeout from pitcher Missy Zoch.

The Red Raider offense followed in Zoch’s lead as it secured two walks and a two-out single from Trenity Edwards in the bottom of the first, according to a Tech Athletics news release. Jessica Hartwell nailed a double allowing the runners on base to cross home plate, giving Tech its first lead of the game, 3-0. 

Kansas came back with vengeance in the second inning as the team gathered two runs from two consecutive walks, according to the release. The two walks were followed with a two-RBI single to the right field, which allowed two Jayhawks to run home cutting Tech’s lead down to 3-2. 

Zoch struck out two Jayhawk hitters to end the second inning for Kansas. 

Kelcy Leach secured a walk, followed by a bunt from Taylor Satchell after Kristen Pruett stepped into the circle for the Jayhawks, according to Tech Athletics. With two Red Raiders on base, umpire Jay Grigsby went down with an injury, creating an officiating crew change which resulted in a 30-minute delay. 

The Red Raiders did not let the brief break have an effect on their momentum as the pair on base moved into scoring position. Heaven Burton gave Tech a two-run lead after an RBI single allowed Satchell to move to third, according to the release. After a sacrifice bunt by Breanna Russell, the Red Raiders brought in another run giving them a 5-2 lead. 

Tech and Kansas both went scoreless in the third inning, but the Red Raiders came back with force in the fourth as Satchell kicked it off with a homer to give Tech its sixth run of the game and recording her 10th of the season.

Hamilton kept the momentum going with a single to center field, and after an RBI triple from Burton, Tech advanced its lead to 7-2, according to Tech Athletics. 

Kansas went scoreless once again in the fifth inning keeping the ball rolling for Tech. Hartwell hit a leadoff single, which kicked started a trio of hits and runs, according to the release. Hartwell moved to third on a stolen base and a wild pitch and ran home after a walk from Leach and an RBI double from Hamilton. 

The Jayhawks switched pitchers once again, putting in Hannah Todd, but that did not faze Burton as she hit a ball to the shortstop and forced an error, allowing another run to score for Tech. Russell stepped up to the plate and hit the game-ending RBI single to secure the 10-2 win over Kansas. 

The action will continue at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 20, to close out the series between the Red Raiders and the Jayhawks.