Texas Tech Men's Tennis vs. Baylor

Junior doubles player Parker Wynn hits the ball low during his doubles match at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The No. 18 Texas Tech men’s tennis team will head to Lawrence, Kansas, to play in the Big 12 Championship starting at 9 a.m. Friday, April 19.

The Red Raiders earned a No. 4-seed in the tournament and will play No. 5-seed Oklahoma in the first round.

Coming in at 15-10 after the regular season, Tech is hoping to ride its recent victories over No. 6 Baylor and No. 17 Oklahoma into the tournament.

On Senior Day, the Red Raiders took down No. 6 Baylor by a score of 4-3 at the McLeod Tennis Center to finish off the regular season on a high-note.

Seniors Tommy Mylnikov and Artem Kaphsuk were honored on Sunday, April 14, and both played big roles in securing the upset for the Red Raiders, according to Tech Athletics. Mylnikov and his partner Jackson Cobb won in doubles play to help secure the early 1-0 lead for Tech. Then Kapshuk gave the Red Raiders the match-clinching point after winning in three sets.

Tech moved up to its highest ranking of the season this week, coming in at No. 18, according to ITA Tennis Rankings.

Parker Wynn and Bjorn Thomson also moved up in the rankings to No. 4 after they beat the No. 1 ranked duo in the nation for doubles. Wynn moved up seven spots in singles rankings to No. 79 and Mylnikov moved up eight spots to No. 108.

Tech is hoping to get past the quarterfinals for the second time in three years. The last time the team did that was in 2017 when they made it to finals before coming up short against TCU, according to Tech Athletics.

Wynn and Ilgiz Valiev have been playing well as of late in singles play. Both have three-match win streaks and will look to continue those into the tournament.

Cobb and Mylnikov have been playing well in doubles as well, going 13-6 on the year, according to Tech Athletics.

For coverage of Tech’s play in the tournament, visit www.dailytoreador.com and follow @TheDT_Sports on Twitter.