Kansas vs. Texas Tech Softball Game 3

The Red Raiders huddle in and celebrate the big win at the end of game three against Kansas at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 20, 2019, at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders defeated Kansas, 4-1.

The No. 12 Texas Tech softball team secured its third Big 12 series after taking down the Kansas Jayhawks, 4-1, on Saturday, April 20, at Rocky Johnson Field.

The win advances the Red Raiders record to 35-9 overall and 8-7 in Big 12 conference play, according to the Tech Athletics release. Tech has now reached its highest win total since the 2014 season when the team went 35-19.

Tech kicked off the game with a single to third base from Karli Hamilton allowing her to steal second before advancing to third after a throw down that went rolling into center field, according to the release.

Trenity Edwards nailed her third hit of the series with a ball to the left-center wall allowing fellow teammate Hamilton to run home and give Tech a 1-0 lead, according to Tech Athletics.

Both teams went scoreless in the second inning, but Kansas came back with vengeance in the third after a two-out error in center field allowed a runner to run around to third, according to the release. Pitcher Erin Edmoundson stopped the Jayhawks in their tracks as she produced a grounder to send them back into the dugout.

Edmoundson and the Red Raiders held their ground and kept Kansas scoreless in the fourth, and the Jayhawks answered with the same intensity as they held Tech to its second scoreless inning.

Kelcy Leach kick started the momentum for Tech in the bottom of the fifth as she hit a leadoff single allowing freshman Miranda Padilla to run home. Taylor Satchell moved to second base on a sacrifice bunt, according to the release.

Hamilton gave Tech a three-run lead after she nailed a two-run homer, recording her seventh home run of the season. This put Tech up, 3-0, according to Tech Athletics.

In the bottom of the sixth Edmoundson held the Jayhawks scoreless before the Red Raiders extended their lead, 4-0, according to Tech Athletics. Leach moved fellow teammate Zoe Jones into scoring position on a hit before Satchell nailed a single over the shortstop to allow Jones to cross home to give Tech its fourth run of the game.

Tech held its ground holding the shutout until the top of the seventh after a Jayhawk hitter nailed a leadoff double, and another passed ball allowed a walk putting Kansas into scoring position. Jayhawk Jennifer Marwitx created a diversion, which allowed her teammate to run home to put them on the board, 4-1, before failing to complete the comeback, according to the release.

Edmoundson recorded her 11th complete game of the season in the win against the Jayhawks, according to Tech Athletics.

The Red Raiders will continue action in Stillwater, Oklahoma, on Friday, April 26, through Sunday, April 28, to take on the Oklahoma State Cowgirls.