Red Raider Tennis vs OU

Junior doubles player Jackson Cobb saves the ball from going out during his doubles match against Oklahoma at 1 p.m. on Sunday, April 7, 2019 at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The No. 23 Texas Tech men’s tennis team will play No. 6 Baylor at 3 p.m. Sunday, April 14, at the McLeod Tennis Center to end the regular season. 

The Red Raiders will hope to keep the momentum they gained from the win against No. 17 Oklahoma. 

Tech jumped out to a 1-0 lead after taking the doubles point from the Sooners. Then with the match tied, 3-3, after Franco Ribero and Ilgiz Valiev won their singles matches, Bjorn Thomson closed out the match for the Red Raiders. He won in the third set after two-straight set points to secure the win for the Red Raiders, according to Tech Athletics. 

Tech remained in the No. 23 spot in the ITA rankings this week. Parker Wynn and Thomson went down one spot in doubles to No. 7. 

The duo is 7-3 in its last 10 matches. Tech has been successful when getting the doubles point, a big emphasis this year. Thomson has been hot for Tech in singles play winning his last three matches, according to Tech Athletics. 

Wynn moved up eight spots in singles play, however, going from No. 94 to No. 86, according to ITA Tennis rankings. Tommy Mylnikov jumped back into singles rankings with the No. 116 spot. 

The two seniors on the team, Mylnikov and Artem Kapshuk, will be honored on senior night against the Bears. 

Mylnikov has been with the team since 2015 and has contributed every year he has been in Lubbock. He has had 38 singles win and received Big 12 Player of the Week honors this year in January, according to Tech Athletics. 

Kapshuk is a transfer student who came to Tech in 2017, according to Tech Athletics. He has also made an impact for the Red Raiders, earning 16 singles wins and 11 doubles wins his first year with team. He also won the Cajun Tennis Classic doubles title in 2018. 

The last time Tech played Baylor on Senior Day was in 2017. The Red Raiders won that matchup, 4-3, according to Tech Athletics. 

Ribero still has the best win percentage on the tea,  as he is 15-5 on the year in singles play, according to Tech Athletics