Texas Tech Baseball vs Wichita State Game 3

Junior Brian Klein celebrates after a home run in game three against Wichita State on March 10, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders win against the Shockers 15-4 and sweep the series 3-0.

The NCAA Selection committee selected Texas Tech baseball as the No. 8 national seed on Monday, as the Red Raiders will host Army, Florida and Dallas Baptist at the 2019 Lubbock Regional.

As the Red Raiders earned the No. 8 seed, it marks the third time if four years that Tech has earned a national seed, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The Red Raiders’ first game of the Lubbock Regional will be against Army at 3 p.m. Friday as Florida and Dallas Baptist will follow at 7 p.m.

Tech was one of 16 schools to host a regional as they posted a 39-17 overall record and were named the 2019 Big 12 champions, according to the release. The selection to host an NCAA Regional made Tech the only team in the country to host a regional for the fourth straight year. The Red Raiders have hosted a regional seven times in school history as Lubbock has been a host in 1996, 1997, 1999, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

This season will mark the 13th time the Red Raiders have been selected to participate in the NCAA Tournament, according to the release. The Red Raiders are also one of three teams to earn a national seed three times in the last four years, as they join Florida and Louisville with the accomplishment.

Of the four teams in the Lubbock Regional, Tech leads with the lowest RPI as the Red Raiders ranked 11th in the ranking system, according to D1 Baseball. Dallas Baptist ranks second as they ranked 25th and Florida follows ranking 27th. The Red Raiders’ first matchup in the regionals, Army, ranked 150th based on their strength of schedule.

Facing Army in the first round of the Lubbock Regional, it will mark the second time the Red Raiders have ever played Army, according to the release. The Red Raiders defeated the Black Knights, 16-2, in 2008 in their only matchup in school history. This season, Army finished with a 35-24 overall record, 15-10 conference record and earned the title as Patriot League champions for the second-straight season.

Florida was selected as the third seed in the Lubbock Regional as the Red Raiders have played the Gators three times with an all-time record of, 2-1, according to the release. The Red Raiders played the Gators in the last two trips to the College World Series, winning their first matchup, 3-2, in 2017. In the 2018 CWS, the Red Raiders opened with a 6-3 win over the Gators but Florida eliminated Tech, 9-6, in an elimination game. Florida posted a 33-24 overall record and 13-17 conference record as they are one of 10 teams to make the tournament from the SEC.

The Red Raiders are also familiar with Dallas Baptist as they lead the Patriots 16-11 in the 27 times the two teams have played each other, according to the release. The Patriots posted a 41-18 overall record and a 14-7 record in conference play, earning the Missouri Valley Conference regular season champions.

With the regional being hosted in Lubbock, the Red Raiders posted a strong 25-6 record at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park this season with the backing of their fans, according to D1 Baseball. As the three teams will travel to Lubbock, Dallas Baptist posted the most impressive record on the road, going 14-9 away from home. Army also earned double-digit wins on the road with a 15-11 record on the road as Florida went 6-12 in away games. 

As the teams are set, Tech and Army will play at 3 p.m. while Florida and Dallas Baptist will play at 7 p.m. on Friday. The winners of the games will face off in the winners bracket as the losers will play in the losers bracket. With the double-elimination regional, the winner of the losers bracket will play the loser of the winners bracket for a chance to play in the regional championship game.

The Lubbock Regional will be aired on ESPN3 and the ESPN as well as being broadcasted on the Texas Tech Sports Network on 97.3 FM, the Double T 97.3 app, the TuneIn app and at www.TexasTech.com, according to the release.