Men's Basketball National Championship Welcome Home

Sophomore guard Davide Moretti walks into a stadium full of cheering fans after returning home from the NCAA Championship at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 9, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena.

Texas Tech basketball’s guard Davide Moretti was selected to Italy’s FIBA Basketball World Cup team of 24 players on Monday.

As Moretti travels to China with NBA players Marco Belinelli and Danilo Gallinari, he is coming off of a season in which he led the nation with a 92.4 free-throw percentage (97-for-105), according to a Tech Athletics news release. Moretti also averaged 11.5 points and 2.4 assists per game as he shot 49.8 percent from the field and 45.9 percent from the three, leading the team with 73 three-pointers made.

Moretti’s consistent shooting helped the Red Raiders made it to the program’s first NCAA National Championship Final and Big 12 regular-season championship, according to the release. After the season concluded, he was named to the Big 12 Conference Third-Team and earned NCAA Elite 90 honors.

Italy will start the FIBA Basketball World Cup in China as they compete in group D with Serbia, Angola and Philippines, according to the release. Moretti and Italy must place first or second in their group to advance to the second round. In the Second Round Group J, Italy would matchup against the top two teams of the group consisting of Spain, Tunisia, Iran and Puerto Rico. Italy must finish in the top two of the second round to make it to the Quarter-Finals.

The last FIBA Basketball World Cup that Italy participated in was 13 years ago in Japan, according to the release. The team has not placed in a major event since the 2004 Olympics where they earned a silver medal. Italy’s head coach Meo Sachetti looks to change that as he added European veterans Luigi Datome, Nicolo Melli and European Qualifiers star Amedeo Della Valle to its roster.

This will be Moretti’s seventh FIBA event that he has represented Italy, according to the release. Moretti has participated in the 2013 U16 European, 2014 U17 World, 2014 U 16 European, 2015 U18 European, 2016 U20 European and 2017 U20 European Championships.