Texas Tech Men's Tennis vs. Baylor

Junior doubles player Jackson Cobb prepares to hit the ball during his doubles match at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, 2019, at the McLeod Tennis Center.

The No. 22 Texas Tech men’s tennis team will begin its 2019 NCAA Tournament play in Palo Alto, California, as they take on UC Santa Barbara at 1 p.m. Friday. 

This is the fourth time Tech has made it to the tournament in the last five years, three of them under current head coach Brett Masi. The Red Raiders have not played UCSB since 2015 when they beat them to advance to the second round of the tournament, according to Tech Athletics. 

The winner of the Tech versus UCSB match will play either No. 12 Stanford or Fresno State, depending on the winner of that match as well, at 5 p.m. Saturday for a chance at advancing to the round of 16, according to Tech Athletics. 

Five Red Raiders have produced over 10 wins on the season. No. 75 Parker Wynn, No. 102 Tommy Mylnikov, Franco Ribero, Ilgiz Valiev and Artem Kapshuk have all proved to be productive for Tech. Wynn leads the team in victories with 16, while Valiev leads in win percentage with .750, according to Tech athletics. 

Wynn was named to the All-Big 12 Second Team recently and was not the only one who received recognition for his play this season. Valiev was named the singles champion in the No. 3 position out of all the Big 12 recently too, according to Tech Athletics. 

Bjorn Thomson is finding success late in the season not only in his doubles play with Wynn, but also in singles play. Out of his last six matches he has won four of them and he will hope to keep that momentum headed into the tournament on Friday.