Lady Raider Tennis vs Iowa State

Senior doubles player Felicity Maltby serves the ball to Iowa State during the doubles match at 12 p.m. on March 17, 2019 at the McLeod Tennis Center. The Lady Raiders defeat the Cyclones, 6-1.

Texas Tech Women’s tennis’ senior Felicity Maltby became the first Lady Raider tennis player to advance to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Singles Championship in school history, after earning a two-set win in the Round of 16 on Wednesday.

“(Maltby’s) the first NCAA quarterfinalist in program history and no one deserves it more,” head coach Todd Petty said, according to a Tech Athletics news release. “She’s getting stronger as the tournament advances and that’s what you have to do to have a shot.” 

Earning a spot in the quarterfinals, No.22 Maltby defeated Hawaii’s Petra Melounova in two sets (7-5, 6-0), according to the release. Maltby heated up as she won six straight games after falling behind, 1-5, winning the opening set, 7-5. In the second set, Maltby secured a win in the Round of 16, 6-0.

“Today was a great example of how much this young lady has grown,” Petty said, according to the release. “Down 5-1 in the first and to will 12 straight games, shows how much she has matured to not get lost in the moment.”

Maltby will play in the quarterfinals on Thursday, facing the winner between UCLA’s Elysia Bolton and UNC’s Cameron Morra. The start time will be announced when all of Wednesday’s matches come to a conclusion.