Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

The Lady Raiders take on the Kansas State Wildcats at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team fell to Texas Christian University, 70-63, on Wednesday, Feb. 6, at the United Supermarkets Arena.

“It’s February and it’s the fourth quarter and you’re ahead, so you’ve got to be able to take that punch coming at you and that level of intensity coming at you in that moment because everybody is going to do it,” coach Marlene Stollings said. “That’s not changing and it’s something that were definitely not as strong as we need to be on.”

This brings the Lady Raiders' record to 10-11 for the season overall and 1-9 in Big 12 play.

Junior forward Brittany Brewer was the first to put points on the board, setting up the momentum for the Lady Raiders after she made a jumper to bring the score 2-0 seconds after the game started. TCU came back immediately, tying the score, 2-2.

The Horned Frogs kept the momentum going in the first quarter going on a 5-0 run before Tech had the chance to score. Freshman guard Chrislyn Carr hit a jumper followed by a free throw, bringing down TCU's lead to five.

After a rebound by sophomore guard Sydney Goodson, the ball reached sophomore guard Eryka Sidney’s hands, who made a jumper to tie the score up once again, 12-12, with only 1:16 left in the first period.

TCU came back putting up five more points before the end of the first period, but that did not stop junior center Erin DeGrate as she nailed a jumper at the buzzer bringing the Horned Frogs' lead down to three, 14-17.

The Lady Raiders came out strong in the second quarter as Goodson nailed a three-pointer tying up the score, 17-17, once again. TCU fought back and ran down the court to nail a jumper to bring them back into the lead.

DeGrate came with momentum following the TCU jumper to tie the score for the second time with 8:40 left in the second quarter, 19-19. Another jumper by TCU brought the Horned Frogs back into the lead halfway through the second quarter.

Tech and the Horned Frogs went back and forth, going point-for-point in the second quarter, but the Lady Raiders found their footing and ended the first half with the lead, 39-38.

Coming out at the half, the Lady Raiders kept their momentum and pushed their lead further after Sanders rebounded and then went back in for a layup, followed by a successful jumper by Goodson.

The Lady Raiders kept the momentum up as they extended their lead into double-digits after nailing multiple shots. With 4:36 left in the third quarter Tech kept its lead, 48-35.

Tech found its biggest lead of the night after Sanders knocked down her two free throws late in the third quarter. TCU could not seem to find its footing, fouling two Lady Raiders within minutes of each other, giving Tech four points.

TCU tried to claw its way back to the top, but the Lady Raider defense proved to be too much as Tech kept its lead throughout the third and going into the final quarter of the matchup.

Carr makes a jumper to bring the Lady Raiders lead up to 57-50 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The Horned Frogs stole the ball back and ran down the court for a successful three-pointer, bringing the score to 57-53.

The Horned Frogs found their footing late in the game and cut Tech's lead down to one with 6:17 left in the fourth quarter. Tech came back with vengeance following a jumper from Carr to keep Tech in the lead.

TCU found the basket and tied the score, 59-59, after a jumper with a little over four minutes left in the matchup. Tech kept it close, but it was not enough, as the Horned Frogs pulled ahead once again.

The Lady Raiders fell behind late in the second half and could not find the fire to pull back ahead, falling to the Horned Frogs, 70-63, in the last few minutes of the game.