Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Sophomore Guard Sydney Goodson moves through Kansas State defenders at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fall to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team is set to travel to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, to compete in the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship tournament on Friday, March 3, through Sunday, March 10.

The Lady Raiders are playing in the first round of the tournament, where they will face off against the Oklahoma Sooners for the third time this season and second time this week. Tip off is set for 6 p.m. on Friday, March 8.

Tech has taken on the Sooners twice this season in conference play, where they split the wins, 1-1. The first time the Lady Raiders and the Sooners met, Tech fell short, 66-61.

The Lady Raiders started the game strong, claiming the lead early on and maintaining it throughout the first half, but it was not until the second half when OU went on a 10-0 run to take the lead.

OU took off after taking the lead and proved to be too much for the Lady Raiders, who tried to fight back but fell in the end, 66-61.

Tech came back with vengeance in its second matchup of the season against the Sooners earlier this week on Tuesday, when it dominated them to win its fourth Big 12 game of the season, 88-82.  

Both teams started the matchup neck and neck after going point for point majority of the first period. It was not until the second period when Tech found its footing and took off.

Going into the half, Tech maintained a 14-point lead and extended it, 54-37, in the third period after back-to-back plays by Kiara Shoals and Zuri Sanders. OU fought to come back and achieved its goal late in the fourth when it took the lead with only a few minutes left to go in the game.

Despite the Sooners coming back, the Lady Raiders clawed their way back to the top in the last second of the game to claim the win, 88-82.

Ana Llanusa leads the Sooners in scoring as she averages 25.1 points per game and has led the team in nine of the last 10 games played, including the last matchup with Tech, where she put 27 points on the board.

Taylor Robertson followed behind Llanusa’s footsteps against Tech as she put up 21 points in the matchup. Robertson leads the Big 12 in three-point field goal percentage with .454 and in three-pointers per game, with an average of 3.32. She went 7-12 from three in the last matchup against the Lady Raiders.

Going head to head with Robertson is Chrislyn Carr who leads freshmen nationally with 17.5 points a game. She led the Lady Raiders to victory over the Sooners with 26 points on the board.

After an impressive game against OU, Carr earned her fifth Big 12 Freshman of the Week award, becoming the first freshman since the 2015-16 season to earn that many weekly awards in a single season. Carr was also named Big 12 Freshman of the Year on Wednesday.

If the Lady Raiders take down the Sooners for the second time this season, they will advance to the quarterfinals round, where they will take on the No. 1 ranked Baylor in game four of the tournament, which will start at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 9.