Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Freshman Guard Chrislyn Carr gets a rebound against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fall to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team is set to hit the road once again to take on No. 1 Baylor University at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2, on FOX Sports Southwest. 

This matchup will wrap up Tech’s series against the Lady Bears for the season. The last time these two teams faced off this season, Baylor dominated, 73-56, giving Tech its 2nd Big 12 loss of the season. 

“They are No. 1 for a reason, they have multiple weapons and they go deep into their bench,” Stollings said. “I think you know both teams have a lot more information at this points and they’re definitely going to be a tough opponent.” 

Tech enters this matchup coming off of another loss against the No. 23 ranked Iowa State Cyclones on Tuesday bringing their record to 10-10 and 1-8 in the Big 12. 

Freshman guard Chrislyn Carr leads the Lady Raiders as she sits in second place in the Big 12 with an average of 19.4 points per game, according to a Tech Athletics news release. 

Carr has recorded 16 straight double-digit games after putting up 14 points against No. 12 Texas, according to the release. Overall, Carr has scored 19 or more points in the 20 games Tech has played this season. 

After a record-breaking game against the University on Nevada in the beginning of the season, she was named Big 12 Freshman of the Week and the USWBA National Freshman of the week. Following those two awards, Carr was also named Big 12 Freshman of the week three more times. 

Carr became the first Lady Raider rookie to earn three or more Big 12 weekly awards since the 2015-16 season, according to the release. 

Senior forward Zuri Sanders and junior guard Brittany Brewer leads Tech’s defense on the court. Sanders averages 5.0 offensive boards and 11.3 total rebounds per game ranking her among the best in the nation, according to the release. 

Sanders is ranked in the top 20 and leads the Big 12 in three different rebounding categories, according to the release. She sits in the No. 6 spot in the country in offensive boards per game. 

Fans can find Brewer in the No. 2 spot in the Big 12 and in the top 25 in the NCAA for blocks per game, averaging 2.35 and a total of 47 for the season, according to the release. She has had 10 double-doubles this season which puts her at No. 20 in the country for the season so far. 

Baylor will enter the matchup coming off of a win against Oklahoma State which advanced the team's record to 18-1 for the season and 8-0 in the Big 12, according to the release. 

The Lady Bears' win against the Cowgirls gave them their 31st consecutive Big 12 win along with their 31st straight Big 12 road win, according to the release. 

Lady Bears senior center Kalani Brown has led Baylor into three regular season and two Big 12 Championship titles, along with three consecutive appearances in the NCAA Sweet 16 and the NCAA Elite Eight, according to the release. She is the reigning Big 12 Player of the Year and an eight-time All-American. 

Brown is currently 99 points shy of hitting the 2,000 points mark; 43 rebounds shy of 1,000; and 48 blocks shy of 250 for her collegiate career. Following the OSU game last week, Brown moved into seventh place in free throws, according to the release. 

In the last 35 of 37 games, Brown has put up double digits, according to the release. Junior forward Lauren Cox follows closely behind Brown. 

Cox is 218 points shy of hitting 1,250; 31 rebounds shy of 650; 9 blocks shy of the 200 mark; and 46 assists shy of the 250 goal. During the Oklahoma State game, Cox hit the 400 career mark after knocking out four field goals, according to the release. 

Along with breaking-records, Cox is well decorated as one of the five finalists for the 2018 Katrina McClain award and a finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, which was released on March 1, according to the release. 

This will be the 91st matchup between the Lady Raiders and Lady Bears. Tech leads the series, 47-43, but the two teams are tied while in Waco with a 19 a piece, according to the release. Baylor has won the last 17 meeting between the two schools. 

Sanders said in order to secure a win the Lady Raiders have to be able to follow through with the game plan and scout that is given to them prior to the matchup. Without doing that, Tech won’t get a chance to find another win. 

“We have to be able to execute scouts and be able to do it at a high level because this is big girl basketball, and when we are not doing what is basically given to us and presented to us then that’s why we have losses they way we did,” Sanders said.