Lady Raider Basketball vs. #12 Texas

Sophomore Guard Angel Hayden shoots a free throw at 1 p.m. on Jan. 26, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to #12 Texas 78-71.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team is set to face off against No. 19 University of Texas at 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, in Austin. 

This matchup will end the season series for the Lady Raiders against the Longhorns. The Last time these two teams met earlier in the season, Texas dominated over the Lady Raiders, 78-71, while in Lubbock. 

In the last matchup, Tech stayed in the game against the ranked Longhorns until the last few minutes when they fell behind and couldn’t find their footing fast enough to finish. Tech coach Marlene Stollings said the result of that matchup was a motivating factor for them heading into this game. 

“Watching it again we had so many opportunities in that game. For us offensively it was one of our best performances of the season,” Stollings said. “We were on fire and we certainly had our chances. We led at different points of the fourth quarter so we had opportunities and I think that is encouraging to our group to have seen that we were right there with them.” 

Texas holds onto the all-time series lead, 72-29, and are on an 11-game winning streak over Tech, according to a Tech Athletics news release. While in Austin, the Longhorns are 7-35 against the Lady Raiders. 

Tech will enter this matchup coming off of a 75-71 win over the Kansas Jayhawks on Sunday, while the Longhorns will enter this matchup on a 69-60 loss to Kansas State University on Sunday, giving them their second loss to the Wildcats this season, according to the release. 

Junior guard Sug Sutton leads the Longhorns in multiple categories on the court, according to the release. She is ranked 17th nationally in assists per game as she averages 5.8 and 12th total in assists with 150 total. 

Sutton averages 12.7 points per game, which is the team best for Texas. She also averages 5.3 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game, according to the release. Sutton has scored in the double digits in 19 games so far this season and has managed to set a career high in three separate categories. 

Sutton’s fellow teammate, sophomore guard Destiny Littleton, is a rising star for the Longhorns as she hit her career high of 22 points against Northwestern State, along with another career high of seven assists, according to the release. 

Littleton hit 11 of 11 attempts from the free-throw line against Northwestern as well as scored in the double digits in 11 games so far this season, according to the release. 

Sutton and Littleton will be facing off against the rising star for the Lady Raiders, Chrislyn Carr, who sits in the No. 3 spot in the Big 12 with 17.9 points per game, according to the release. 

Nationally, Carr sits at the top of five categories in the NCAA — points per game, with 17.9, total points with 448, field goals made with 160, field goal attempts with 432, and three-point attempts with 202, according to Tech Athletics. 

Carr was named the Big 12 Freshman of the week four times this season, according to the release. She became the first rookie since the 2015-16 season to win the award four or more times in a single season. 

Carr was also named the USWBA National Freshman of the week following a record-breaking performance against Nevada earlier this season. She became the first Lady Raider in history to be awarded this title, according to the release. 

Sophomore guard Angel Hayden came off the bench late in the season and has earned her spot on the court. She hit her season high of playing 38 minutes against Oklahoma State University, according to the release. Hayden also posted her career high of 19 points against the Cowgirls. 

After the trip to Austin, the Lady Raiders will return home to host the No. 22 ranked Iowa State at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, to finish off the season series with the Cyclones.