Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Freshman Guard Chrislyn Carr shoots a long three pointer against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019, in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team fell to No. 20 Iowa State, 64-62, on Tuesday in a midweek matchup at the United Supermarkets Arena.

This loss moves the Lady Raiders record to 12-14 for the season and 3-12 in Big 12 play.

The starting lineup for the Lady Raiders consisted of freshman guard Chrislyn Carr, sophomore guard Sydney Goodson, sophomore guard Angel Hayden, junior forward Brittany Brewer and senior forward Zuri Sanders.

Tech had a slow start coming out of the gate against the Cyclones. Goodson was the first Lady Raider to put points on the board, followed by fellow teammate Chrislyn Carr.

Both teams battled back and forth until Carr nailed a three to bring the Lady Raiders their first lead of the night, 9-8, with a little over four minutes left in the first quarter.

Despite a short lead for the Lady Raiders, the Cyclones found it in them to pull ahead and take the lead back late in the first. Tech ended the first quarter trailing Iowa State, 14-11.

The Lady Raiders came out in the second quarter on fire as they quickly took the lead back after back-to-back jump shots from Brewer and Carr. Iowa State answered with a jump shot of its own to pull ahead by one, 16-15, with a little over eight minutes left in the first half.

Tech and Iowa State went point-for-point throughout the second quarter with the Lady Raiders finding their fire and pulling ahead late in the first half. Junior forward, Kiara Shoals, came off the bench to hit a layup to extend Tech’s lead to five.

After two successful free throws by Hayden, the Lady Raiders end the first half leading the Cyclones, 28-21.

The Cyclones opened the second half by holding Tech and going on a 7-0 run to tie the game, 28-28, until Brewer nailed a jump shot to put the Lady Raiders back in the lead with 6:12 left to go in the third quarter.

Late in the third quarter, the Lady Raiders managed to grab their first double-digit lead over Iowa State, 45-35, after back to back threes made by the lone freshman, Carr.

Brewer nailed another three for the Lady Raiders early in the final quarter of the game to keep the momentum going for Tech and to extend their lead back up to eight. Fellow teammate Sanders made a big steal to drive the ball back down the court for a layup to extend the lead, 55-45.

Brewer led the Lady Raiders with 19 points against Iowa State, followed by fellow teammate, Carr, who had 16 for the night. Shoals came off the bench late in first half to nail six points against the Cyclones.

Despite having the lead for majority of the matchup against the Cyclones, the Lady Raiders fell to Iowa State, 64-62, late in the game as the Cyclones pulled off the comeback.

Tech’s next shot at redemption will be next Saturday, as the Lady Raiders face Kansas State at 1 p.m. on the road before heading home for the regular season finale against Oklahoma on March 5.