Texas Tech Women's Tennis vs. Wyoming

Freshman singles player Denise-Antonela Stoica moves towards the ball during the match against Wyoming at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019. Texas Tech won against components from Wyoming.

The Lady Raider tennis team fell, 4-0, to the No. 17 Miami Hurricanes on Saturday, Feb. 9, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Florida.

The match was pushed to 1 p.m. after two weather delays. 

Tech fell behind early on in doubles play when Francesca Sell and Antonella Stoica fell to Miami’s Ana Madcur and Lucia Marzal, 6-4. The Lady Raiders lost the doubles point after Miami’s Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova beat Tech’s No. 40 pairing of senior Felicity Maltby and freshman Nell Miller, 7-6. 

After losing her first singles set 6-0, Sella gave Shirokova a fight in their second set, which she narrowly won, 7-5. Maltby fell to Perez-Somarriba 6-3, 6-3.

Stoica claimed the Lady Raiders' only winning set of the day over Marzal, 6-0. Marzal came back to win the second set 6-4, and the tiebreaker 6-3, clinching the match for the Hurricanes. 

The Lady Raiders, who once boasted a 3-0 record, sit at 3-3 now, as Miami rose to 6-1.

Tech will face Florida International at 10 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 10, in Miami.