Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Freshman Guard Chrislyn Carr drives the ball to the basket against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team fell to No. 1 Baylor, 100-61, in game two of the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship on Saturday, March 9.

The starting lineup for the Lady Raiders consisted of freshman guard Chrislyn Carr, sophomore guard Angel Hayden, sophomore guard Sydney Goodson, senior forward Zuri Sanders and junior forward Brittany Brewer.

Baylor was first to put points on the board after a layup by Juicy Landrum but Tech answered quickly as Carr nailed a three to take the lead early on. The Lady Raiders extended their lead after another three by Goodson, according to statbroadcast.com. 

Tech fell behind late in the first quarter but stayed in the game only trailing by eight at the end of the first, according to statbroadcast.com. Coming out in the second, Baylor went on a 17-0 run to extend its lead by double digits, 39-15 with 3:45 left in the first half.

The Lady Raiders ended the first half with a 7-0 run, but still found themselves trailing the Bears by 20, 45-25, going into half time, according to statbroadcast.com. 

In the third quarter, Tech brought the lead down to only 20 after a layup from Sanders, but it was not enough as Baylor continued to extend its lead going into the final quarter of the game, according to statbroadcast.com.

Tech fought to stay in the game but Baylor proved to be too much as the team pulled ahead by as much as 39 to end the game, 100-61, ending Tech’s run at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship.

Carr led the Lady Raiders with 25 points, recording her eight 20+ point game of the season, according to Tech Athletics. She became the first freshman to score 25 points in the tournament this season.

With her 25 points, Carr became the highest scoring freshman in program history, with a total of 558 points to end the season, according to the release.

Goodson followed closely behind Carr with 16 points and two assists, her 17th game scoring in double figures. Fellow teammate Brewer stayed on Goodson’s tail with 13 points and eight rebounds, marking her 26 double-digit game of the season and No. 44 for her career.

She also recorded five blocks, putting her in the No. 5 spot in school history for most blocks in a season with 71, according to Tech Athletics.