Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Sophomore guard Sydney Goodson gets the foul against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team fell, 81-57, to No. 19 Texas on Saturday, Feb. 23, in Austin.

After this loss, the team’s record moves to 12-14 overall and 3-12 in Big 12 play, according to a Tech Athletics release.

The starting lineup for the Lady Raiders consisted of sophomore guard Sydney Goodson, sophomore guard Angel Hayden, junior guard Eryka Sidney, junior forward Brittany Brewer and senior forward Zuri Sanders, according to Tech Athletics.

Coming out of the gate, the Lady Raiders struggled to put points on the board against the Longhorns as Texas went on a 9-0 run within the first few minutes, according to statbroadcast.com.

Texas continued to dominate as it went on a 7-0 run to lead the Lady Raiders, 16-2, with 2:36 left in the first period, according to statbroadcast.com. Goodson hit a layup to bring the Longhorns' lead down to 10.

Freshman guard Chrislyn Carr was the first Lady Raider to put points on the board in the second period with a successful jumper to bring the score, 25-8. Brewer immediately followed in Carr’s footsteps and hit a three to dwindle down the Longhorns lead, according to statbroadcast.com.

The Lady Raiders could not find their footing throughout the second period as they fell farther behind Texas, only putting up 11 points, according to statbroadcast.com.

Tech came out in the third period with vengeance as it fought to get back in the game, according to statbroadcast.com. Carr hit another three for the Lady Raiders, bringing the Longhorns' lead down to 12, 47-35, with a little over three minutes left to go in the third period.

The Longhorns ended the third period with an 11-0 run against the Lady Raiders, extending their lead to 17, 58-35 at the end of the third, according to statbroadcast.com.

Goodson started out the final period of the game with three made free throws to build the moment for the Lady Raiders, according to statbroadcast.com.

Despite breaking down the Longhorns lead late in the final period, Texas proved to be too much for the Lady Raiders, claiming their second win over Tech this season, 81-57.

Carr led the Lady Raiders in the matchup against the Longhorns with 19 points. Eleven of those points were made in the third period alone, according to the release. This game marked Carr’s 23rd double-digit game this season.

Brewer followed closely behind Carr with 13 points, recording her 21st double-digit game of the season. She also tied her career high of three steals in a single game, according to the release.

The Lady Raiders will return home to host No. 22 ranked Iowa State at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the United Supermarkets Arena.