Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Sophomore guard Sydney Goodson gets the foul against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team secured its third Big 12 win of the season over the Kansas Jayhawks, 75-71, on Sunday, Feb. 17.

This win advances Tech’s record to 12-13 on the season and 3-11 in Big 12 play.

Coming out the gate, both teams went back and forth down the court to tie the game, 4-4, with 7:46 left in the first quarter. Kansas powered through the Lady Raider offense with a 9-0 run to pull ahead by 11 points, according to kuathletics.com.

Sophomore guard Sydney Goodson ended the first quarter with a three-pointer to bring the Jayhawks lead down to eight, 18-10, according to kuathletics.com. Fellow teammate Erin DeGrate then opened the second quarter with a successful lay-up to cut the Jayhawks lead down even more.

Tech fought going into the second quarter but fell behind by double digits after Kansas’ Christalah Lyons nailed a jumper to cut the lead to 10, 23-13, at the beginning of the second, according to kuathletics.com.

The Lady Raider defense managed to stop the Jayhawks and stay in the game by going on an 11-0 run after junior forward Brittany Brewer nailed a three-pointer at the halftime buzzer. Tech ended the first half down by just one, 38-37, despite trailing by double digits at various points in the first half.

Brewer came out at the half with a fire under her feet as she nailed another three-pointer to secure the Lady Raiders' first lead since the first quarter, according to kuathletics.com.

Tech followed in Brewer’s footsteps and kicked up the momentum as it went on a 6-0 run to further its lead, 46-38, with 8:08 left in the third quarter, according to kuathletics.com

DeGrate, with an assist from sophomore guard Angel Hayden, hit a layup to bring the Lady Raiders' lead up to nine with a little over three minutes left, according to kuathletics.com.

Kansas fought throughout the remainder of the third quarter but could not keep up as Tech furthered its lead, 57-49, going into the final quarter of the game.

Kansas came out in the fourth quarter with vengeance and depleted the Lady Raiders lead down to two, according to kuathletics.com. That only motivated Tech as the team upped the intensity and kept the lead.

After a three-pointer from the Jayhawks late in the quarter, the Jayhawks pulled ahead, 68-67, with 2:14 left to go in the game. Hayden then nailed two free throws to put Tech back in the lead with 2:00 minutes left.

The Jayhawks came back again to tie the game before Goodson hit a free throw to once again give Tech the lead. Hayden followed in Goodson's footsteps after nailing her free throw to expand Tech's lead with only seconds left in the game, according to kuathletics.com.

Goodson secured the Lady Raiders' win over the Jayhawks by nailing a free throw with only four seconds left in the game, to end the game, 75-71, according to kuathletics.com.

The Lady Raiders will return to action at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26, at the United Supermarkets Arena to take on the No. 18 ranked Iowa State University.