Women's Basketball Texas Tech vs. Kansas State

Senior Forward Zuri Sanders passes the ball to a teammate against Kansas State at 5 p.m. on Jan. 19, 2019 in the United Supermarkets Arena. The Lady Raiders fell to the Wildcats 66-62.

The Texas Tech women’s basketball team defeated the Oklahoma State Cowgirls, 90-78, on Saturday, Feb. 9, in the United Supermarkets Arena.

The win moves Tech’s record to 11-12 on the year and 2-10 in Big 12 play. 

The win surpasses Tech's record in conference play from last season.

Junior Erin DeGrate highlighted the win for Tech, collecting a team-best 21 points on the night. DeGrate was 5-8 on free throws and also collected nine rebounds. Sophomore guard Angel Hayden served as a catalyst to the Tech offense, collecting 19 points and seven rebounds. 

Senior forward Zuri Sanders finished the game as Tech’s defensive mastermind, tallying five steals while collecting a team-best 12 rebounds. 

The Lady Raiders got off to a strong start, putting up a 22-spot on OSU in the first period. However, the Cowgirls rallied to outshoot Tech, 21-15, in the second period. Fortunately for the Lady Raiders, they remained atop OSU, 37-34, at half. 

Tech’s offense was not afraid to let it fly in the first half, going 15-42 on field goals and 3-12 on three-point attempts. The Lady Raiders took advantage of nearly every opportunity to score, going 4-5 from the line. OSU went 3-4 on free throws in the first half. 

Junior forward Brittany Brewer totaled seven points in the first half, tying her teammate Hayden. Sanders, sophomore guard Sydney Goodson and freshman guard Chrislyn Carr all concluded the first half with six points a piece. 

The second half was a test for the Lady Raiders as OSU would take its first lead of the game. Tech settled in though and continued to run game on the Cowgirls. OSU outscored Tech, 23-22, in the third period, but Tech continued to fight. 

The Lady Raiders came back with vengeance in the final period, outshooting OSU, 31-21. As the dust settled, Tech finished atop its conference foe, 90-78.

Tech will return to action at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, against West Virginia in the United Supermarkets Arena.