Red Raider Baseball vs Dallas Baptist University Lubbock Regional Final

Senior infielder Cameron Warren hits a three run home run in the first inning in the NCAA Lubbock Regional Final against Dallas Baptist University at 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, June 2, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders defeat the Patriots, 3-0 and advance to the NCAA Super Regionals.

Texas Tech baseball’s senior Cameron Warren and junior Josh Jung were named finalists for the 2019 Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award (BBCSA) on Wednesday. 

Jung and Warren are joined with Tulane’s Kody Hoese and New Mexico State’s Nick Gonzales as finalists for the BBCSA, according to a BBCSA news release. The award is given to the player who excels at the plate, academics and personal integrity from Division I programs in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma.

The Executive Director of the BBCSA Tracy Taylor said she is excited about the four finalists for the award as Jung and Hoese were both first-round draft picks, Warren hits .500 in the NCAA Regional with home runs in each game and Gonzales lead the nation in hitting this season, according to the release.

“Not only are they great ballplayers, but they are also excellent student-athletes and better young men, Taylor said, according to the release. “They have garnered multiple academic awards and truly represent what the Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award presented by SR Bats is all about.”

The BBCSA started with 30 student-athletes nominated for the award at the start of the season, according to the release. 18 more players were added to the watch list in the middle of the season before the Selection Committee narrowed the players down to four finalists.

Later in the month, the winner of the BBCSA will be announced as the winner will be honored at a gala in the fall, according to the release. Tech’s Hunger Hargrove took home the award in 2017, as Dallas Baptist’s Devin Granberg is the reigning winner of the honor after being awarded the BBCSA in 2018.