Red Raider Baseball vs University of Texas Rio Grande Valley

Junior INF Josh Jung throws the ball to first base for an out during game one against University of Texas Rio Grande Valley at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders fall to the Vaqueros, 6-3.

The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) named No. 10 Texas Tech baseball’s Josh Jung a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy on Thursday, according to a Tech Athletics news release. 

It is the second-straight year Jung was named a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy, which is awarded to the most talented player in collegiate baseball, according to the release. The selection also marks the third consecutive year a Red Raider made the list as Steven Gingery and Hunter Hargrove were named semifinalists in 2017. 

A total of 26 college baseball players were named semifinalists and Jung is one of three players to come from the Big 12, according to the release. He is also one of the 11 infielders and four third basemen earning the honor. 

Following his All-American sophomore year, Jung has had a phenomenal season with the Red Raiders in his junior year, according to the release. In the Big 12, Jung ranks in the top four in batting, slugging, on-base percentage, doubles, RBIs, runs and walks. 

The defensive switch to play shortstop for the Red Raiders has helped Tech win 11 of its last 13 games, according to the release. In those 13 games, Jung posted a .438 batting average, 19 runs scored, 15 RBIs, 15 walks, eight doubles and four home runs. 

With the outstanding performance at the plate as shortstop, Jung improved his hitting as well, ranking him second on the team with a .346 batting average, according to Tech Athletics. He also has earned 62 hits, 49 RBIs, 48 runs scored and nine home runs. Jung also leads the team with 20 doubles this season. 

Jung’s impressive season has earned him several honors, as he was named a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy. Jung was also named a semifinalist for the USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award on Wednesday, according to the release. He has earned Big 12 Player of the Week, Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award Player of the Week, Frisco Classic All-Tournament Team and earned a spot on the Bragan Award Watch list. 

The Dick Howser Trophy is considered one of college baseball’s most prestigious awards, which is given in memory of the All-American shortstop, major league player and manager who is was a former Florida State Seminole, according to the release. The trophy is given to the collegiate player that represents Dick Howser’s life with their performance on the field, leadership, moral character and courage. 

Finalists for the 33rd Dick Howser Trophy will be announced on June 6 and the winner will be presented the award at the home of the College World Series, TD Ameritrade Stadium in Omaha, Nebraska, according to the release.

MLB Network will broadcast the winner on June 14 and a press conference will be held the next day at 10 a.m., the opening day of the College World Series. 

Jung and the Red Raiders have two more games against Texas Christian to finish the regular season, as they post a 34-15 overall record and a 14-8 record in conference. The two games against the Horned Frogs will be played at 6:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.