Red Raider Softball vs Kentucky Game 1

Redshirt junior OF Karli Hamilton walks up to the box to bat during game one against Kentucky at 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at Rocky Johnson Field. The Red Raiders defeated the Wildcats, 7-5.

Texas Tech softball’s redshirt junior center fielder Karli Hamilton was awarded with Third Team All-American honor by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association on Wednesday. 

Hamilton is the fourth player from Tech to earn the All-American nod and was the second student-athlete to secure third-team status. Last season, senior first baseman Jessica Hartwell earned the Third Team All-American honor as well, according to a Tech Athletics release. With Hamilton earning the third team accolade, it marks the first time in program history that two teammates have earned the award in back-to-back seasons.

Hamilton led the Big 12 with 73 hits and eight triples this season, according to the release. The redshirt junior also ranked second in the conference with a .427 batting average.

The eight triples set a record for the Red Raiders for most triples hit in a single season, according to the release. Hamilton also broke a school record with 13 career triples.

Hamilton earned three Big 12 player of the week honors, led the team with a .398 batting average, 25 multi-hit games, 58 runs scored and 128 total bases, according to the release. The Houston native also maintained a 3.61 GPA throughout the year.

Tech head coach Adrian Gregory said Hamilton deserved this honor, according to the release. Gregory also mentioned that Hamilton does not only play well on the field, but she works hard off the field to improve her game.

“I am incredibly proud and couldn’t be happier for Karli (Hamilton),” Gregory said, according to the release. “She is a very talented student-athlete and has that rare trait to want to just keep getting better. She has worked tirelessly to enhance both the offensive and defensive aspects of her game and it shows. Karli is the biggest advocate for her teammates, as well as our program.”