_MG_0686wtp.jpg

Texas Tech freshman Sofia Garcia smiles after she putts into the hole. The regional tournament took place in the Rawls Golf Course at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 8, 2017.

The Texas Tech women’s golf team wrapped up the final round of the BYU at Entrada Classic, placing second overall in the tournament on Tuesday, March 12, in St. George, Utah. 

Sophomore Sofia Garcia stole the show at the tournament, sinking seven out of 10 holes of the round and tying for second individually. She was one stroke shy of medalist Thitapa Pakdeesettak of Kent State. This put her at eight-under par, breaking the record set by current LPGA Tour star Kim Kaufman in 2009, according to Tech Athletics. 

The Red Raiders finished with a combined score of seven-under 281, marking the lowest over the final 18 holes for the 15-team field, according to Tech Athletics. 

Head coach Jojo Robertson said the final round of the tournament was a good one for the team, according to Tech Athletics.

“I’m proud of their effort and the way they fought during the final round," Robertson said, according to Tech Athletics. "Sofia led the way with an incredible round. She started strong and never backed off. I'm excited to see how we build off of this performance later this week in Georgia."

Sophomore Louisa Brunt tied for third in the tournament with a score of two-over, the best of her career. 

Freshman Anna Dong finished three-over par, securing a tie for 11th overall. Senior Mami Yamamoto finished one-over for the tournament, putting her in a tie for 21st and seven strokes over par for the tournament. 

The Red Raiders were 24 strokes ahead of their nearest competitor in third place, according to Texas Tech Athletics. 

Next, the team will travel to Augusta, Georgia, to play in the 2019 Valspar Augusta Invitational beginning on Saturday, March 16.