_MG_0686wtp.jpg

Texas Tech freshman Sofia Garcia smiles after she putts into the hole. The regional tournament took place in the Rawls Golf Course at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 8, 2017.

Texas Tech women’s golf’s sophomore Sofia Garcia was selected by the Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) to the All-American second team on Thursday.

With the selection, Garcia became the second women’s golfer in school history to be named a second-team All-American, according to a Tech Athletics news release. The only other Red Raider to earn that honor was current LPGA Tour member Kim Kaufman, who was named a second-team All-American in 2013.

Other Red Raider All-Americans include Brook Lowrance (1996) and Gabby Dominguez (2012) who both earned honorable mentions for their seasons, according to the release. A season before being selected to the second team, Kaufman also earned an honorable mention selection.

In the rankings, the latest Golfstat individual poll has Garcia ranked at No. 14 and Golfweek Magazine has her ranked at No. 16, according to the release. The rankings put her third in the Big 12.

The honor as a second-team All-American was earned as Garcia had a stroke average of 71.6, which was the lowest clip in program history, according to the release. Before she broke the record, Kaufman (2012-13) and Garcia’s former teammate Gabby Barker (2015-16) held the record with a stroke average of 72.3.

Garcia also set a new program record as she fired a 64 in the final round of the Entrada Classic at BYU, according to the release. The record was previously set by Kaufman who shot a 65. Garcia also tied a program record with Dominguez and Kaufman at the Illini Invitational as she earned a 54-hole score of 207.

As she won three individual titles in her second full season with Tech, Garcia is the first Red Raider to win more than two tournaments in a season, according to the release. Her impressive season earned her a spot on the international team for the 2019 Arnold Palmer Cup. The Ryder Cup-style tournament will be played at the Alotian Club in Roland, Arkansas from June 7-9.