111018.UTFootball.ID1010wtp.jpg

Sophomore wide receiver T.J. Vasher points into the crowd during the last home football game against the University of Texas at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 10, at Jones AT&T Stadium. The Red Raiders were defeated by the Longhorns, 41-34.

The Texas Tech football team will play their first game under head coach Matt Wells against Montana State at 3 p.m. on Aug. 31 as ESPN and FOX Sports announced the game times for the specialty games and the first three weeks of the season on Thursday.

Tech’s second game of the season will be against UTEP, starting at 7 p.m. on Sept. 7 as the first two games will be played at the Jones AT&T Stadium, according to the release. The Red Raiders will then travel to Arizona to face the Wildcats at 9:30 p.m. on Sept. 14. ESPN and FOX Sports also announced Tech’s last game of the season will start at 11 a.m. against Texas in Austin. 

FOX Sports will air the first two games of the season, according to the release. The season opener against Montana State will be aired on FOX Sports Southwest as the game against UTEP will be shown on FOX Sports Southwest Plus. 

ESPN will air the Arizona game nationally as it will mark the second-latest game the Red Raiders have played in school history, according to the release. The only game that started later was the 1988 Coke-Cola Classic in Japan against Oklahoma State, which kicked off in the middle of the night. In the Big 12 era, the only other games that Tech has played starting at 9 p.m. or later include their games against Texas A&M in 2003, Arizona State in 2013 at the Holiday Bowl, UTEP in 2014 and Arizona State in 2016.

The season-finale against Texas will be shown on either FOX or FOX Sports 1 as the network will decide which channel they will air the game on in the weeks leading up to the game, according to the release.

The rest of the Red Raiders’ game times will be announced throughout the season on either a 12 or six-day basis, according to the release.