Texas Tech Football vs. Kansas

Sophomore wide receiver T.J. Vasher catches a touchdown in the end-zone during the game against Kansas at 2:30 pm, on Saturday, Oct. 20, at Jones AT&T Stadium. The Red Raiders ended the game victorious, 48-16.

Texas Tech football’s junior wide receiver T.J. Vasher, freshman defensive lineman Tony Bradford Jr. and former quarterback Patrick Mahomes earned nominations for an ESPY Award on June 19.

Vasher earned one of the 16 nominations for the “Best Play” for his one-handed, Odell Beckham Jr-like, catch in the 2018 season opener against Ole Miss, according to a Tech Athletics news release. His one-handed snag was ranked a No. 9 seed, facing off against Manchester High School’s senior Kevin Henderson’s 48-yard touchdown catch that was pinned on a defender’s helmet then knocked into his hands.

Another Red Raider earned a nomination for the “Best Play", as the incoming freshman Bradford played a part in his team’s Hail Mary to win the Class 6A Division I state championship, according to the release. The Hail Mary was ranked a No. 16 seed, going against the No. 1-seeded Miami Dolphins Miracle win against the New England Patriots.

Former quarterback and reigning NFL “Most Valuable Player,” Mahomes, was nominated for two separate awards, Best NFL Player and Top Male Athlete, according to the release. Mahomes is going against Todd Gurley, Aaron Donald and Drew Brees for the Best NFL Player award. The Top Male Athlete nominations also include Giannis Antetokounmpo, Mookie Betts and Brooks Koepka.

Among the prestigious ESPY nominations, Mahomes was named the upcoming EA Sports Madden NFL 20 cover athlete after he threw over 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns in his first year as a starter in the NFL, according to the release. Mahomes is also the only quarterback all-time to throw over 5,000 yards in college and the NFL.

Fans of the Red Raider athletes can vote on ESPYS.com as the 2019 ESPY Awards will be announced on ESPN at 8 p.m. on July 10.