06.21.2019_TexasTech_Michigan_MBishop_07.JPG

Cody Masters hugs Joe Hughes after the game. Michigan beat Texas Tech 15-3 at the College World Series in Omaha, Neb. on June 21, 2019. The loss eliminated Texas Tech from the CWS. (Photo by Michelle Bishop)

The Texas Tech baseball team’s season came to an end as they were eliminated from the 2019 College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska after a loss from Michigan in the semifinals.

Opening their season, the Red Raiders suffered a 9-4 loss against Oregon in the first game of the season at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders bounced back to win the next two games of the series for a 2-1 series win. After the loss, Tech won six-straight games, posting a 6-1 record as the seven-game streak at home came to a conclusion.

Tech then tested its skills on the road, traveling to the Dr. Pepper Ballpark for the 2019 Frisco College Baseball Classic. The Red Raiders lost their first two games of the classic, losing to both Nebraska and Mississippi State. The team left Frisco, finishing 0-2 in their first test on the road after their game against Sam Houston State was canceled because of rain.

The Red Raiders bounced back and won five consecutive games, sweeping San Diego State in a two-game series on the road and Wichita State in a three-game series in Lubbock.

With an 11-3 record heading into their first conference series of the season, the Red Raiders came up short, 4-3, to the Texas Longhorns in Austin. Tech bounced back, defeating the Longhorns with a shutout performance at the mound by junior Caleb Kilian. Texas came back to win the final game of the series, giving Tech its first Big 12 series loss of the season.

Heading back to Lubbock after a conference series loss in Austin, the Red Raiders played five games in a row, three against Michigan and two against Stetson, at home. Tech swept Michigan in a three-game series, outscoring the Wolverines 29-10. The Red Raiders then split their series against Stetson, 1-1.

After playing five-straight games, losing just one, the Red Raiders traveled to Manhattan, Kansas for their second Big 12 series of the season. Tech took the first two games of the series and then lost the final game of the series by one run, giving the Red Raiders their first conference series win of the season.

Continuing its play on the road, Tech traveled west to play a midweek series against New Mexico, splitting the series 1-1.

The Red Raiders followed with their first Big 12 series in front of the Tech baseball fans, playing Kansas in a three-game series. Tech defeated the Jayhawks in the first two games of the series, but after their 19-4 win in game two, the Red Raiders could not secure the sweep, losing 13-9.

Tech then played New Mexico State for the second time of the season after its Big 12 series win at home. The Red Raiders and Aggies played at a neutral ballpark in Midland for their final matchup against each other. The Red Raiders came up on top, defeating the Aggies 10-5 at Security Bank Ballpark.

Following the win, the Red Raiders traveled to Morgantown, West Virginia to play the Mountaineers. Tech suffered two-straight losses but prevented the series sweep with a 3-0 win in the final game of the series. Tech continued on the road, stopping in Durham, North Carolina for a single game against Duke. The Red Raiders lost 13-6, after knocking the Blue Devils out o the NCAA Tournament in 2018.

After the rough road trip, something snapped and the Red Raiders played to the potential they had from the start of the season. Defensive changes were made during the road games, moving the All-American third baseman, junior Josh Jung, to shortstop. The change proved to be a smart move as the Red Raiders won a three-game series against the Big 12 leader, Baylor, at Dan Law Field.

The momentum carried as the Red Raiders beat New Mexico, 6-4, at home to secure a 2-1 series win against the non-conference foe. Tech continued to sweep another Big 12 powerhouse, beating Oklahoma State in three-straight games. The sweep was the Red Raiders’ first conference sweep of the season, giving them an 11-7 record in Big 12 play.

Tech then lost to UTRGV in the first game of a midweek series in Lubbock but came back and defeated the Vaqueros in the second game of the series with a strong presence on the offensive end, earning 19 runs.

Oklahoma then hosted Tech’s last away series of the season. The Red Raiders’ dominance in the conference showed as they swept the Sooners in Norman for the first time since 1999. The games were hard-fought as the Red Raiders outscored the Sooners 24-13 in Norman.

The Red Raiders then defeated FIU in a single game as the second game of the midweek series was canceled because of inclement weather.

In the final series of the regular season, the Red Raiders lost their first game against Texas Christian 3-1 at home. Tech bounced back to win the second game, evening the series 1-1. The Big 12 title was on the line for the Red Raiders heading into the final game against the Horned Frogs. Tech earned a clutch, 8-4, win to close the regular season, earning the Big 12 regular season title.

With the regular season coming to a conclusion, the Red Raiders finished with a 36-15 overall record, posting a 16-8 record against teams in the Big 12.

After coming up short in the Big 12 tournament, the Red Raiders earned the eighth national seed, giving them the opportunity to host the regional round of the NCAA Tournament.

In the 2019 Lubbock Regional, the Red Raiders hosted Army, Florida and Dallas Baptist. Tech swept through the first round of the tournament after defeating Army, 11-2 and defeating the nationally ranked Dallas Baptist Patriots in two-straight games.

The Red Raiders stayed in Lubbock for the Super Regional round of the tournaments, where they would face a Big 12 rival, Oklahoma State. Tech defeated the Cowboys in the first game but Oklahoma State evened the series, 1-1 in game two. The Red Raiders trailed late in the elimination game but sophomore Kurt Wilson hit a clutch three-run bomb in the eighth inning to help the Red Raiders make their fourth trip to the College World Series in the past six years.

In the 2019 College World Series, The Red Raiders suffered a 5-3 loss to Michigan in the opening game. Tech bounced back in the loser’s bracket of the College World Series, defeating the No. 5 national seed, Arkansas, to eliminate the Razorbacks from the tournament for the national title.

After defeated the Arkansas, Tech defeated Florida State, 4-1, which gave the Red Raiders a bid in the semifinals against Michigan. The Red Raiders came up short against the Wolverines, losing 15-3 in the final game of their season.

With Tech’s season ending, the Red Raiders posted an impressive 46-20 overall record. The Red Raiders were also dominant at home as they did not lose a single series at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park, earning a 30-7 record in Lubbock.