060719.BaseballvsOSUSuperRegionalsGame2.AR1525wtp.jpg

The Texas Tech Red Raider baseball team gets set to face off against The Cowboys of Oklahoma State in the second game of the NCAA Super Regionals at 5 p.m. on Saturday, June 8, 2019 at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park. The Red Raiders have made it to the Super Regionals for the third time in the last four years.

The man that the Texas Tech baseball field is named after, Dan Law, passed away at age 87 on Monday evening.

“(Law’s) humble and caring presence will never be forgotten,” head coach Tim Tadlock said, according to a Tech Athletics news release. “He always had a way of making people feel loved and appreciated. Our family thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Law and the interaction with him during games. A great two-sport athlete and an even better man!”

Before attending Tech as a student-athlete, Law served in the Army, according to the release. Law played both football (1955-56) and baseball (1956-57) in his time as a Red Raider. He helped the football team make it to the Border Conference championship in 1955 and led the baseball team to a 15-11 record in the two seasons he was a player.

Law and his wife, Jeane Law, stayed in Lubbock and maintained a successful business with a daughter and three sons, according to the release. He became a huge supporter for Tech Athletics in the mid-1980s and was an annual fan in the stands through the 2018 season.

“His loyalty and dedication to Texas Tech Baseball was very special,” Tadlock said, according to the release. “There’s something special about seeing the man our field was named after and then be able to look on the first row and know that he was enjoying watching Texas Tech Baseball.”

The contributions from Law helped Tech baseball install lights at the stadium and after the renovations, Tech named the field after him in 2012, according to the release. The lights allowed the Red Raiders to play their first night game on March 16, 1988, against Wichita State.

Law will join his wife who passed in 2014 at the age of 82 after 60 years of marriage, and funeral services for Law are pending at this time, according to the release.

“Dan Law went to be with the Lord today,” Law’s grandson Wes Law said via Twitter. “Thank you to everyone who has reached out to my family and I. It’s a bittersweet day in both the Law household and in the city of Lubbock. He’s finally home with his lifelong sweetheart and his legacy will be felt forever.”

Although Law has passed, his legacy will be remembered as the baseball facility keeps his name as Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.

westtexan11

You might want to double-check the age of Dan Law's wife. The texastech.com news release says she was his "wife of 60 years," which means they had been married 60 years, not that she was 60 years old.